Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Rehman
      Participant

I’m reading a lot of discussion about difficulty removing Tiger rear hubs. Many cars through the 50’s had hubs that had to be pulled at each inspection in Pennsylvania. AMC up into the early 70’s Is there something particular to these hubs that makes them difficult ? Conventional hub pullers were 2 or 3 jam and quite robust. Most garages threw them away until front wheel drive cars came along and guess what ? You need the again. This will be a winter project. Just looking for some suggestions or comments.

admin McConlogue
        Keymaster

Is this a helpful article? Posted by Ed Eslinger in 2015 . but that’s long after these cars were new!
          https://www.teae.org/cars/rear-axle-hub-puller/

Kerch – Hi, thanks for that link! I’ll soon be rebuilding two Tiger differentials and will definitely make that tool to remove the hubs.

Gary

David Hall
          Participant

Presently I have George Coleman’s rear hub removers, as well as a wire wheel rear hub remover. Need to use George’s tool soon to pull the hubs to do Dan R’s rear disc brakes. Glad to send them on to another user. That would be much easier than making a new puller! David Hall

David – Hi, thanks for the offer. I don’t need them real soon – the axle rebuild could be a project for next winter. If you’re going to United this year I could get the pullers from you there, or we can sort out another way to get them to me. Again, no rush.

Gary

Robert Rehman
            Participant

Thanks for the responses. I’m going to try the OTC and Snap On hub pullers I have used on ford products from the 30’s through the 50,s first. If that doesn’t work I see the concept of the pullers described and that I would try next. Thanks again !

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.