Thomas Schoonmaker
      Participant

Hello, I’m looking for someone
        in the NY, NJ,Ct region
        who knows how and is able
        to install a push fan on my stock
        260 Tiger. A griffin aluminum radiator
        was installed but does little to
        keep it cool when it’s 80 degrees and traffic is bumper to bumper. Thanks

Robert Rehman
        Participant

Aluminum radiators in antique cars is quite a hot potato issue. While it is true that aluminum accepts and dissipates heat at twice the rate of copper this is what I call hanging a fact out to dry. The problem is that it only works if the water flow is doubled to use that rule of physics. So if a man puts an aluminum radiator in a 1936 Ford (flatheads are notorious for overheating) it may actually run hotter than before and the possibility of doubling flow is unachievable. The flow vs slow debate has gone on for years in automotive journals with both sides claiming results. If you look at a radiator on say a 2001 Honda civic – the whole cooling system hold just over a gallon of water but it was designed from the start with an ultra high flow water pump and small aluminum radiator. So unless the whole system was designed from the start to use an aluminum radiator it may not help at all. Also on the oil cooler note. An oil cooler will drop the water temp 15 – 20 degrees depending on application. This is my trade secret to get a flathead Ford to run cool. The oil is the primary coolant for internal engine parts. Water is secondary. That’s why you run oil temp gauges on race cars. Oil temp reveals the overheating problem first. Cool oil yields cool water.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.