Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone tried the front brake upgrade offered from one of our British part suppliers that is a kit which includes vented rotors, good pads, new hard ware and a spacer to be installed between the two halves of the caliper to accommodate the thicker vented rotors. sounds good if it works?? In years past I have seen issues with splitting the front calipers. Thanks for any feed back

Sean Johnson
      Participant

Who is offering this kit?? I currently have a MK1a in my shop with such a modification, but I suspect it to be decades old. The kit used Nissan 200SX or Maxima vented rotors and spacers between the OE Girling 16P calipers. the dust shields have to be removed due to the increased width of the calipers. As the Nissan rotors are getting hard to find, it’d be nice to have an alternative.

There is no issue with installing spacers… Girling did it themselves with the calipers for the Aston Martin DB5 and Mercedes 230 SL. (type 17-3) As long as you replace the square cut o-rings there is no problem. In fact, it’s 10 times more difficult to replace seals and pistons w/o separating the caliper halves.

I think the fear is, Girling never published any torque figures for the caliper bolts. A good rule of thumb is 40-45 ft/lbs for the 3/8-24 bolts and 50-55 for the 7/16-20 bolts

The kit I saw was on the “Sunbeam Supreme” website, they are in UK

Sean Johnson
        Participant

It is VERY similar to the kit on the car here. The rotors on it are not drilled or slotted, but it uses the same caliper spacer kit. The Sunbeam Supreme website doesn’t say if they actually have stock or not. I have asked them if they do and what the original application is for the rotor.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.