Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Schreiner
      Participant

I am building a Holbay type 1725 engine for my Alpine. I have some flat top Holbay pistons, dual webbers and have modified the head as per Vizard tech tips.(overdrive tranny)…My question is , where can I get a hotter than stock cam? Don’t want a full race-cam, just hotter than stock,, as it will be street driven. Any suggestions?

Mike Schreiner in Jupiter, Florida

Delta Camshaft in Tacoma WA is the answer, they will grind your cam for about $50 they also will surface the lifters, rocker tips and supply new rocker shafts for very reasonable money, all stuff these engines need.

The Delta grind I like the best is the “KB” grind but the “D9” is also a good grind just moves the power band up a bit. KB is the best all around and I have run it with flat tops and dual 40s but the same engine with the D9 cam seemed to have a good bit more power.

Delta has super service the turn around is not to be believed. Look’em up on the web you will not be sorry.

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

Thanks, That is exactly the info I was looking for, I will look them up on the web…Mike

Coltec recommends their E128 grind for fast road use:

Application Ref. No. Timing Figures (Degrees) Valve Lift (inches) Inlet/Exhaust Cam Lift (inches) Inlet/Exhaust Degrees Period at Crankshaft
          Chrysler 1725 E128 35/60 60/30 .465 .330 275/270

How do the KB grind and the D09 compare?

Also – at what grind spec does a cam grind become "lopey?"

David Kellogg-Achin
          Participant

Mike:

You might consider Crane cams for a couple of reasons.

Don’t know if you read or remember my Rootes Review article about the United, but Crane was *very* helpful to us on our tour during last year’s event in Daytona Beach. They made it clear that they would stand on their heads to help classic car owners (oh, God! is that what we’ve become…) with our cam needs.

What I *don’t* know is whether they have a street grind for the 1725 in their books. If so, I would say they deserve consideration, not just because they were kind to TEAE, but because they’re relatively local for you and would bend over backward for your business, probably to the extent of working with you to create a custom grind just for your engine.

Their tour leaders said that 24 hours was their turn around goal, once the factory renovations were complete. I believe their timeline for that was sometime mid-2008, putting it around now.

I’ve heard great things about Delta, but Crane, too, may have some real advantages. It was Crane who spoke so openly about ZDDP being a real loss to motor oil. Further, please –if you don’t know it already– use a special break-in oil as they recommend.

It might be worth calling Crane, just to talk with their technical folks about break-in procedures. Hope I’m not saying too much that you already know.

Thanks for the heads-up on the American Racing Silverstones. Those were too far corroded to trust for the application I needed. If you come across any in better shape, please let me know.

All the Best, and let us know how you fare, no matter whose cam you use. That’s often a dimension of the Forum that goes by the boards– knowing the outcome of someone’s endeavors.

David

Hi,

I don’t know what spec the cam is, but the Hunter GT cam is supposed to be alot better for the 1725 engine’s over standard. Alot of people down-under have installed one in their Sunbeam with great success. I think it may be similar to the Delta grind, but I’m not 100% sure.

Regards, Robin.

kkj
              quote mikeflbmer:

I am building a Holbay type 1725 engine for my Alpine. I have some flat top Holbay pistons, dual webbers and have modified the head as per Vizard tech tips.(overdrive tranny)…My question is , where can I get a hotter than stock cam? Don’t want a full race-cam, just hotter than stock,, as it will be street driven. Any suggestions?

Mike Schreiner in Jupiter, Florida

Do you mean hotter then the Holbay cam?

Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.