Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Robert Rehman
      Participant

Parts question. Correct horns for MK1A. Looking at Alpine parts p W22, 260 sunbeam parts p.WF4, 260 & 289 parts pWF7 and 289 supplement p.WF7 also. There is reference to France only on MK II’s and Sweden only and several various part numbers in the Alpine parts. Question # 1 – does this refer to cars exported to those countries or horns manufactured in those countries. Question #2 – what are the correct horns for cars such as my MK1A ? My cars has horns made in France. Is that possible or should they be something else ? Life long mechanic here with British car questions. Some people call me a perfectionist.

To my knowledge, ALL horns were Clear Hooters. One High one Low. H & L were stamped at the opening of the horn.

Some countries require have or had different standards for safety equipment like lights and horns. I am not aware of any horn standards for either country. In the early days 60’s-70’s of Tigers, there were only one or two Tigeers in France and about the same in Spain.

My hypothesis is, and the odds are, that someone replaced their clear hooters with another horn. It’s quite common.

BTW, Most clear hooters are rebuildable. Many just need the adjustment screw tweaked. But it is a very touchy process. I rebuilt many. It is just a matter of drilling out the rivets, separating the halves, cleaning points, cutting out a really thin paper gasket, and reassembling. I had AL rivets and reassembled. Looked the original in appearance.

I’m sure Erig Gibeaut has horns for you. He got a bunch from me and some were rebuilt.

Good luck

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.