Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

have started gathering efi parts to put the efi on the tiger seem to be hitting a road block when it comes to an intake that will fit under the tigers hood and has the intake runners suitiable to drill out for the injectors any one know of any???? thanks earl blu oval

If you use a manifold off a mid 90’s T-bird or Cougar it should fit. In the Detroit area we have a member who did this installation.

I’m also in the midst of setting up a fuel injected roller-cam motor in my Sunbeam project. I’m using the ’93 302 block and I’ve accumulated some Ford Motorsport Cobra/GT40 fuel injected manifolds. They flow a lot more air and are fairly short in height. That intake assy is a two-piece… top plenum with throttle body and lower intake that has bosses for the fuel injectors and contains all of your water passages. You can also obtain these manifolds from the 5.0 Ford Explorers. My project involves using only the lower manifold and I’ll make a custom aluminum upper plenum that fits under a fiberglass hood. One other lower manifold that works well and is an inexpensive upgrade is found on 302 F150 truck motors. The ports are larger than the T-Bird/Cougar, and are shaped differently. Main difference between the F150/Bronco systems vs the T-Bird/Cougar setups is runner length. Car manifolds are shorter due to hood clearance as opposed to the trucks and the longer plenum length is better for torque. Shorter length primarily works well for upper RPM usage. Your imagination is your only limitation.

thanks to all for the posts have had to scrap the idea of the f.i. the 289 was realy tired had hada couple of other issues so i decided to replaceit with a 302 crate i still think that f.i would be great on the tiger . please keep post updated thanks earl blu oval

I’ve explored this in a number of directions over the past several years (young kids and work commitments give me more time to ponder than to fabricate)… I acquired an ’88 Mustang EFI setup, as well as a Ford truck intake setup. The port shape and size of the truck lower manifold is equivalent to what Holley uses on their manifold. I determined that to make things fit it would be necessary to lower the injectors by about 1/2" and take as much as possible off the lower-to-upper manifold flange. I eventually reground a 3/4" drill bit to suit the seat profile for the injectors, then made a jig to hold the manifold at the appropriate angles on my mill table, and drilled the injector bosses down to re-seat the injectors as low as I dared. I then milled the lower-to-upper flange down about 3/4". Then I put the project on the back burner… I can take pictures if anyone really wants.
      Currently I’m in the process of putting a BossEFI throttle body on my F4B manifold. I figured that it would be a much less time intensive way to get out the door, and I can always go forward with one of my other plans later.
      In order to fit the BossEFI throttle body on the manifold I had to remove my engine mount spacers and heat deflectors (to lower the engine as much as possible) and also remove some material from the backside of the throttle body, to clear the firewall reinforcing rib. It was a question of "what are you going to cut"… I’ve taken off about as much as I think is prudent from the throttle body, I could machine down the carb flange on the F4B if I need to go lower. I have about 1/8" clearance between the throttle body and the firewall.

Here’s a question: Down at the other end of the car I’ll have to mount the fuel pump. Does anyone have a good picture of how the fuel pump is mounted in the Alpine spare tire well on the Mk2 Tigers? I’m not trying to misguide anyone (although since I’m working on B382002705 it’s a damn-near Mk2) but if I’m going to move things around then I might as well still make it stock-like.

Theo,

How did you end up mounting your fuel pump? I have the same problem now. Thanks.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.