Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Schreiner
      Participant

have broken two glass windshields trying to install (non fitting) repro rubber triim…..anybody have one near florida? also I need teo of yhe springs that go on the brake and cluttch mc lever…….missing mine on a 62 project

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

Mike,
          The corners of the seal flange where it sets inside the frame need trimmed or it’s like trying to install a square peg in a round hole. The frame is a four piece unit so take it apart and you’ll that the side sections have a flat section that slides into top and bottom section. Once you trim the rubber to fit, It’s easier to set the glass in the seal and assemble the frame. Installation is far different from the way of installing the glass in the later stamped metal frame. One shop broke two of my windshields before I took it to a local glass shop. FYI,You really need to have the correct seal for a series 1 or 2.

Mike Schreiner
          Participant

Bob….I drove to eric place in SC to pick up a 3rd windshield and just broke that one….I give up now looking for a series 2 windhsield in the frame and I wont mess with it….kow of amy?

Bob and Jean Webb
            Participant

Mike , Don’t try to install it in the manner that you would for series 3 thru 5. Disassemble the frame and set the windshield in the rubber seal. Don’t try to install the seal and then the glass. The seals available today are entire different than originals. I think you know how to break the glass. You need to cut the corners of the seal to clear the brackets that hold the frame together. Assemble the frame around the glass with the glass in the rubber seal. If you don’t trim the seal corners you will break the glass. I had a shop that broke two windshields before I took it to the shop that installed the glass in my red Harrington 42 years ago.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.