Do it at the United XXXVII
Hi! You all know by now that the 2018 United will be held at Glen Cove, NY on beautiful Long Island. Okay, I am a bit biased, having been born in New York City and raised on Long Island. As a native Long Islander, I want to talk about why you should attend this year’s United. Sy Block can tell you about the activities planned for the United and why this will be a memorable event. My message…you will never have a better opportunity to visit New York…at least not at this price.
At the center of it all is the hotel. The Glen Cove Mansion harkens back to the turn of the century when the north shore of Long Island was the home of the rich and famous…do the names Vanderbilt, Whitney and Belmont sound familiar. We have secured a very favorable group rate of $139/night which applies three days prior to and after the event. So, come early, stay late, or both. Sy has also arranged for a breakfast buffet at $12/person. The hotel is five minutes from the Glen Cove Long Island Railroad (LIRR) station and trains leave hourly to central Manhattan…only a 40 minute ride. The Port Washington Station is a bit further away but has more trains and is only a 30 minute ride. So what is there to do? In addition to the many restaurants and shopping, here are my Top Ten recommendations…
Enjoy a Broadway play: Getting tickets to Hamilton might be tough, but tickets to many other plays are available…some at discounted prices.
- Visit the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island or take a cruise around Manhattan on the Circle Line. No better way to view Manhattan than from the rivers surrounding it.
- Visit the 9-11 Memorial and Museum: A must see venue commemorating the tragic events and those that died on a day none of us will ever forget.
- Enjoy a Ballgame: Both the Yankees and the Mets will be at home around the time of the United. The Mets play Miami 10-12 September and the Yankees face their arch rivals the Red Sox 18-20 September. Both are easily reached by public transportation.
- Visit Chinatown and Little Italy: The Feast of San Gennaro runs this year from 13-23 September. In its 91st year, this is New York City’s largest street festival, attended by over 1 million people annually.
- Stroll 5th Ave. and visit the Empire State Building: I know the Empire State Building is no longer the tallest building in the world, but its art deco styling and views are still memorable.
- Visit one on New York’s famous Museums: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Natural History Museum and the Museum of Modern Art are only a few of the many to choose from.
- Play a round of Golf at Bethpage State Park: My hometown, Bethpage has five courses for golfers of all abilities. If your game is up to it, play the historic Black Course, site of the 2002 and 2009 U.S. Open and one of the top ten courses in the U.S. that you can actually play.
- Enjoy the finest thoroughbred racing at Belmont Racetrack: Less than a 30 minute drive from the hotel, the track will have a full racing card on 19-20 September.
- Take a drive in your Sunbeam: Drive along the Atlantic on the Shore Parkway. Stop to enjoy Jones Beach or Captree State Park…during the week both will be less crowded.
Is that enough to convince you this is an opportunity you do not want to miss? I hope so. See you all in September.