Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Mighty hot weather[90+] on the Eastern end of Long Island recently.Took the 66 Series 5 and the Tiger II out for drives .The Alpine[had it from new] is old reliable.The Tiger as with many of the breed is heat sensitive.I have a new 650 Holley carb and a new NAPA supplied Carter fuel pump.Ran the Tiger on a fairly open road for about 10 miles.Gased up[$3.65 for high test,ouch but still half what I pay in Ireland;29.9 when I bought the 66 Alpine].But I digress …back to the drive which stopped with a stall and no restart,no kick no ignition.Removed fuel pump,put on spare…instant restart.Drove home cracking the hood two inches with strong magnets to keep it in place.Ran perfectly.Returned home,put old fuel pumpback on.Immediate restart! Vapor lock?? frank mooney

How hot did the engine get? I would suspect your new pump-did you check pump output when it would not start? I do like my Purolator electric pump. I relocated mine so it was like your MKII Tiger’s-in the spare tire well. That will keep the pump cooler too so I know that overheating the pump was not your problem. Tigers can take lots of heat-mine took me across Kansas and the plains after the very first SUNI that was in Colorado-it was way over 103 degrees for two days straight. Tiger did fine-I was the one that was breaking down. There was one tire that exploded but that is another story…………..Eric

I have an infrared temp reader in the car and never thought to use it!My guess from the car temp unit 200 degrees but I have a 16 psi cap. I didn’t want to remove fuel lines and be pumping fuel with the battery live etc.No steaming or gurgling,water level ok.Both pumps worked fine after removal and reinstallation.Thanks. frank mooney

quote frank mooney:

…no restart,no kick no ignition.

Does this mean the starter did not turn the engine over?

The starter turned over with strength but no ignition not even a minor kick so ,in my opinion, it was definitely fuel starved.Ran it this weekend with the hood open the two inches no problems.Could the gasoline in the carb,fuel line have boiled away due to the excessive underhood heat with the hood closed ? But why wouldn’t the starter have the fuel pump replenish? frank Mooney

Could it be at the temp you quoted,,, the coil heating too high, you spent awhile changing parts. then cooled the coil,, started up and went home.. Could be also the "if you have one" ingition condenser.

Justa thought.
      chuck

Chuck,coil is fairly new.It did start right up when I switched the Fuel pump..but it could have had a 1/2 hour to cool down.I could carry a spare coil.Easier/faster to swap the coils.Thanks for the input but I may never know the reason behind the stoppage. frank mooney

Chuck,I meant to add that I have electronic ignition in the Tiger thus no condenser. I have points etc. in the Alpine. Alpine starts right up but I have to use the choke until it smooths out. frank Mooney.

I would suspect the coil.had 35 miles on the 62 with the 302.It was warm and I went into town to go to an all britsih car show.almost made it and the car shut down.it was the coil.It was mounted on the alternator bracket.car cooled down and restarted.Now have a super coil mounted on the inner panel and not the engine.car ran good even when waiting for one long train to pass.Engine temp went to 230 and did not boil.
      My opinion would be to replace the coil and mount it off the engine.I think in my case vibration and heat were the culprit.

Chuck,your analysis intrigues me.I thought for sure fuel delivery was the culprit. But being that I didn’t get the slightest kick with the starter really turning over and with plenty of fuel visible in the transparent trunk mounted fuel filter it well could have been no spark due to an overheated coil.But now it starts right up.Why,if that is the case, should I replace the coil?Have I damaged/weakened the coil.Do NAPA,Autozone etc test coils? frank mooney

quote frank mooney:

Chuck,your analysis intrigues me.I thought for sure fuel delivery was the culprit. But being that I didn’t get the slightest kick with the starter really turning over and with plenty of fuel visible in the transparent trunk mounted fuel filter it well could have been no spark due to an overheated coil.But now it starts right up.Why,if that is the case, should I replace the coil?Have I damaged/weakened the coil.Do NAPA,Autozone etc test coils? frank mooney

Frank, Don’t worry about a test, the coil at NAPA is very inexpencive, Just go to NAPA ask for a IC64 coil. Works great for me and I do carry my old one(I thought was bad,nah diesel in the gas tank 😳 ) in the boot. Any good brand will do , this is what I have and it is just great with Pertronics.

If you can afford 2, then do it and have a spare to boot..
      Good luck
      CHuck

Frank
      Yes the heat saps the coil pretty good if it is defective in the least.As soon as the coil cools down somewhat you have power.
      Coils are not that expensive.The accel super coil is Only around $70.00 even here in the great white north.Combine that with a MSD unit and you will have spark like you wouldn’t believe.My Msd unit died after 150000 miles on the 62 so it is reliable.It is so easy to convert the coil back as well.
      One thing about carrying a spare part is for sure that part will never die.Thats Murphy’s law or something like that.

Fellas,thanks for the input.Took the Tiger out on Saturday the 4th…90 degree temp. Had hood opened appx 2inches. Ran it for 30 minutes..and sure enough it shut down. Opened hood- hood and metal rod too hot to hold without mechanic’s glove..Waited appx 30 minutes.It then restarted right away! Paid NAPA a visit picked up the same model coil IC 12[I believe] $43 with tax but I have yet to install it. I like the idea of moving the coil off the engine to an area where the heat may be less intense… but it still will be hot.I can return the IC 12 if need be but I’ll have to find out what the different IC model #’s mean or whether an ACCEL coil or some super type coil has any benefit.I wonder if some model coils resist heat better? I was convinced it had to be the fuel pump.I have a MSD ignition but I also have an external ballast resistor.The IC 12 coil is for an external resistor. I sometimes wonder if the coil manufacturers claims are hyperbole. After all for non race driving how strong does a spark have to be.Similar issue with respect to spark plugs. Thanks again. frank mooney

Frank Mooney et. al. – I know it is nearly 13 years since the correspondence about Frank’s issue with overheating and when, once parked with the engine off, the car not starting again for some period of time. A defective coil was identified as the culprit. I am curious if Frank or anyone else can speak to whether the coil was indeed the problem. I have the same issue with my ’66 Tiger which I purchased a few months ago. Runs fine on I-95 at 170 degrees; runs hot in traffic (200-220 degrees.) Hot or not, it often (50+% of the time) fails to re-start for 30-90 minutes. I have been guessing that it is the fuel pump or possibly the ignition wire getting so hot that it loses its conductivity under extreme heat.

I just joined TEAE and would welcome any thoughts from more experienced owners.

As to the overheating I also welcome suggestions for fixes. I have a six-bladed fan which no doubt helps. I do not want to put an air scoop on the hood (LAT-79) but I have been considering putting air vents in the hood. Curious if anyone has an opinion or experience with the vents and their impact on overheating.

Thank you for any thoughts. JP DeVillars

Bill Shipman
      Participant

I saw bubbles through the glass on my fuel pump (Alpine) and had flashbacks to the old days of vapor lock in the 1970’s. In my case though, it turned out to be flakes of paint from the fuel tank clogging the fuel line. Modern gas w/ethanol ate the coating on the fuel tanks.

Fortunately, it is now easy to find fuel without ethanol around here.

Thanks, Bill. Appreciate the in-put.

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.