Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Keith Easler
      Participant

Sunbeam Tiger, Sunbeam Alpine, Rootes Original Car Stereo.

This is an original Sunbeam Alpine/Tiger Rootes Automobile optional accessory AM radio that has been updated and restored using an Aurora Designs FMR tuner.

Aurora is a modern AM/FM Bluetooth conversion that updates older radios to receive AM and FM signals.
        One of the best features is that you can connect your phone via bluetooth and play songs from your playlists.

This conversion also includes a microphone to receive and make calls through your bluetooth phone.

This radio also includes a USB port to charge your phone.

The Aurora Designs FMR is programmable in case you want to add speakers. It is currently set up for 4 speakers.

The radio can be set up for different outputs (front/rear fader, bass, etc) and can work with an external amplifier.

When operating in bluetooth mode a small blue LED is illuminated on the tuner face.

The radio dials function just like the original, the knobs and buttons will tune across the signal frequencies and adjust volume.

To change between AM, FM, and bluetooth a quick turn of the dial will change the band and a voice will inform you of AM, FM or bluetooth mode.

You can visit Aurora Designs website for more details at http://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-design.com
        Radio conversions for classic vehicles | Aurora Design (tech-retro.com)

This radio has been restored, internal parts have been cleaned and repaired.

Shipping to USA will be $50-$70 via UPS based on the size and weight.

This radio is the correct radio for 1964 to 1967 Sunbeam Tigers and Alpines and other Rootes cars.

I can email high res photos on request

• This topic was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Keith Easler.
        warren-g
        Participant

There’s two options the LAT one and the stamped steel holder with the detached Motorola speaker.
          I have one to sell along with the brackets only for the speaker.

Richard Fritz
          Participant

The WizzzBANG guys completed the installation of a new repro Sunbeam Radio Console in my ’63 Alpine GT. I purchased a RetroSounds Bluetooth M2A Radio and a hidden power antenna to install with the Sunbeam console. The installation was not complicated because all the bits and pieces to secure it to the dash frame came with the console, and I recalled where the bolts and screws went from my first Sunbeam Radio Console back in the ’60s.
            The difficult part was working under the dash and tracing wires to find switched power and ground lines. None of the WizzzBANG crew is as svelte or as limber as they were when they first started working on Sunbeams several decades ago, so working under the Alpine’s dash was a challenge. Doing this install is a two-person job. One is under the dash and the other is the designated gopher because you can’t anticipate all the tools and wiring aids you’ll need before you scootch under. However, there were times when both of us were under the dash fitting the console frame to the dash support brackets and bolting things in place. It’s then you’ll need a third person to help get your sorry butts out of the car.
            I am using just the console speaker for now and it sounds quite good, and since all of the harness wires are labeled, adding additional front and rear speakers will be simple.
            Sources: http://www.retromanufacturing.com
            http://www.crutchfield.com

Here are a couple of photos…

warren-g
            Participant

I had planned on buy Keith’s radio.
              For a stock car it’s a great choice. It’s amazing how a good sound system makes those annoying rattles and old car noises go away.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.