Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a picture of my Tiger at the Wilmington Mile earlier this year. Picture was sent to me by fellow Sunbeam owner Bob Thompson. Speed at the time was about 160mph.

I have a new motor being built, the short block should be done in a few weeks. It’s an aluminum Ford SVO block ,363ci.,10.5 to 1 compression , Zero babance, TrickFlow
      205 CNC ported heads. Should be around 450 rwhp. The aluminum block is 50lbs. lighter which will bring the car weight in AutoX trim (no hardtop) to 2290lbs.
      The weight distribution with the current motor and me in the car is 49% front and 51% rear. With the new block the car should be 47-48% front.
      Power to weight is currently 4.8 lbs per hp and with the new motor should be about 4.2 . For comparision a Z06 Corvette is 6.2 and a ZR1 Corvette is 5.1.

2290 lb Tiger – ๐Ÿ˜ฏ Wow. That is starting to sound like Cobra territory… but I see you have one of them, too – NICE.
      Good luck getting everything going. Will look forward to more photos/info later.
      I thought that Doug (Sr) said one time that 400+ hp was "a little too much" for Auto-X in a Tiger?

[quote="Hugh Guynes"]car weight in AutoX trim (no hardtop) to 2290lbs.
      quote]

That is amazingly light for a Tiger. Could you detail a few of the changes to get to that weight?

Did you change the front suspension to a lighter weight coil-over version?

2112# on the Tiger were doing now.

Mark,
      The Cobra is 2140lbs. w/o the rollbar. The weights are 50.1f ,49.9r.
      Doug is correct, in a Tiger with a stock rear suspension 400 hp is not useable in AutoX. However I also run my car at the dragstrip and in open track events where you can never have enough horsepower. The Tiger also has a 3link coilover rear suspension with a Eaton Tru Trac (torsen) differential which allows it to power out of a turn much better than a stock Tiger.

Bob,
      Good guess, I have one of Mark’s front suspensions.

Here’s how my Tiger went on a diet.
      Dip the car and remove the lead from the factory. Doug Jennings says there is about 80 lbs. of lead and undercoating on the cars. 80
      Aluminum engine block 50
      Aluminum heads 50
      Aluminum intake 15
      LAT hood 14
      Griffin radiator 14
      mini starter 7
      change to alternator with aluminum bracket 10
      change from Toploader to T5 (gforce gearset) 40
      3link coilover rear suspension 40
      coilover front suspension 50
      no convertable top 17
      seat swap ( I only run 1 lightweight aluminum seat for AutoX ) 45

Total 432lbs.

There are a few other things that are only 1 or 2 lbs each and the 6pt rollbar added back 60lbs.
      I’ll update the weight around 1 March when the motor swap is done.

quote Hugh Guynes:

Mark,
      The Cobra is 2140lbs. w/o the rollbar. The weights are 50.1f ,49.9r.
      Doug is correct, in a Tiger with a stock rear suspension 400 hp is not useable in AutoX. However I also run my car at the dragstrip and in open track events where you can never have enough horsepower. The Tiger also has a 3link coilover rear suspension with a Eaton Tru Trac (torsen) differential which allows it to power out of a turn much better than a stock Tiger.

Sounds like an enthusiast’s "Multi-Purpose Vehicle", good stuff ๐Ÿ˜€ (I’m a little envious)
      I’m sure that you surprise more than a few folks with that beast. What class are you in for Auto-X?
      Will continue to watch for more details… you are a great "Ambassador of the Marque".

Mark

E-Mod -not many rules

That is light, my tiger is just over 3000 wth me.
      I m surprised the back window stayed in, mine blew out at 146. I should try to run the mile run.
      Nice tiger and of coarse I like the green

quote Twin Turbo Tiger:

That is light, my tiger is just over 3000 wth me.
      I m surprised the back window stayed in, mine blew out at 146. I should try to run the mile run.
      Nice tiger and of course I like the green

Were the side windows open or closed when that rear window blew out ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ?
      Jerry, it doesn’t sound like your car went on much of a diet(?) .. of course if it did, you’d get thrown out MORE often [for being too fast] :mrgreen:

Happy New Year everyone!

Mark

Ha ha Mark, and yes the side windows were closed but I have a gap at the top of drivers window.
      Haven’t had problem with it the last couple times but have only gone 141-142..
      Hoping on getting back east to a couple tracks soon

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.