Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone tried using the Wilwood .625 bore master cylinder on a Sunbeam instead of the stock MC with vacuum servo brake setup?

I have used the .700 master and it works very well. There may not be enough volume with the .625. Good Luck 🙂

I need to address my brakes so this topic interests me…

What are the stock master cylinder specs for bore and stroke?

What Wilwood part numbers are you looking at?
      Have you looked at tandem or combination master cylinders?
      Any Other brands?

I would like to eliminate my booster and upgrade the front discs, but it seems like things are as clear as mud.

Paul B

Paul,
      I have an Alpine V and the stock MC has a .875 bore – don’t know about the stroke. It also has a 7 inch booster that I want to eliminate. But I really like the pedal response that a booster provides and I thought the .625 bore MC might provide a similar feel. Although, as George said, it may not have enough volume. Still, I would like to know if someone has already tried it.
      I don’t want any plumbing or space hassles so I have not considered going the tandem route.
      The Wilwood part number is 260-6087. You can see it here:
      http://www.wilwood.com/Products/006-Mas … /index.asp

John B

The .700 master is about the same as the early Alpine master, Doug Jennings sells them.This will let you to do away with the booster and you have just as good braking as with the booster. I put one on my Tiger and the brakes are better than when I had the booster, when it worked!!

Call Doug at Tiger Auto he can help!!

Good Luck 😀

I bought the “under-size bore master cylinder from C.A.T. and use it without a booster. It works well with the stock braking system. I had to modify the push rod to make it work.

Doug also sells a larger rear brake cylinders that provide more braking from the lazy rears without a proportioning problem. With the smaller master cylinder and larger rear cylinders, you must adjust the rears more often to keep the pedal travel reasonable. Safety and reliability are much improved over using the stock booster.

John Logan Sr.

There is a possible down side to using a smaller bore M/C. There will be more pedal travel, which is not initially a problem. Then, as the clutch plate wears down, the piston moves further along to take up the slack. Eventually, the piston may run out of travel, and your clutch will not disengage.

True, but the subject is the BRAKE master cylinder.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.