Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Ron & Linda Jones
      Participant

Ok, like I said on a previous post, I’ve got my SV "running". I wasn’t sure if the clutch was disengaging so I wanted to test it, while running. She’s still on blocks w/no wheels, but I ran it through the forward gears and clutch seems to be working correctly. I have a shift knob that indicates reverse is to the right and down but it wouldn’t go into reverse. My buddy, tells me that he thinks it should be to the left and down…or maybe up? So which is it?
        Thanks
        Ron

alpine-64
        Participant

Ron,

Early non sync alpines have the reverse gear down and left.. later all sync have it down and right.. there should be a spring against the reverse gear.. so feel for some resisteance when you try and select

Ron & Linda Jones
          Participant

OK, cool, thanks Michael. I’ve always driven a standard trans. I felt the resistance to the right, but it didn’t seem to want to slide into reverse. Right now, I had a leak from the water pump, so have the cooling system taken apart. When I put it back together again, I’ll try to use a bit more force to the right and see if I can slide it into gear. If I continue w/this difficulty, any suggestions on what the problem could be or remedy? Perhaps the clutch isn’t fully disengaging or bad/old trans gear oil? I haven’t checked or changed the oil and I’m sure the clutch still needs some bleeding.
            Ron

Hi Ron,

If you cannot get into reverse, you may have a mechanical issue in the gearbox. The other thing I am thinking is that your reverse switch may be adjusted in too far not allowing correct throw (this would only occur if your car has the reverse switch fitted). It would definitelty be worth changing the oil if it has not been done.

Regards, Robin.

Bob and Jean Webb
            Participant

it may also be a non syncro. reverse to the left and back .

Ron & Linda Jones
              Participant

Thanks for the replies, I’m pretty sure that the trans is stock for the car, beam.
                Changing the trans oil is definately something I’ll do before getting on the road, Robin. Tell me about the reverse switch. I seem to have a pair of fried wires dropping down somewhere under the trans. Is this switch something more than a simple contact switch, indicating when you are in reverse? Does it need to be active in order to get it in reverse? I hope it’s just low hydraulics, bad gear oil… or maybe this switch?
                Ron

Do you have reverse lights on your car? The fried wires may have connected to the reverse light switch on the transmission. The switch itself is pretty simple-just a spring loaded plunger that when placed in reverse makes contact for the reverse lights.

Ron & Linda Jones
                Participant
                  quote 65sunbeam:

Do you have reverse lights on your car? The fried wires may have connected to the reverse light switch on the transmission. The switch itself is pretty simple-just a spring loaded plunger that when placed in reverse makes contact for the reverse lights.

Haha, I actually have no lights on the car. All the trim and lights had been removed before I got it. I have no idea of what works on the electric system and what doesn’t. I haven’t been able to follow the fried wires to where they connect, yet. I’m presuming that I do have the switch, because the wires seem to go into the trans somewhere. Where on the trans is the switch located? I haven’t seen the switch from my underside inspection. Can it be accessed/seen through the shifter hole?

quote SVRon:

Thanks for the replies, I’m pretty sure that the trans is stock for the car, beam.
                  Changing the trans oil is definately something I’ll do before getting on the road, Robin. Tell me about the reverse switch. I seem to have a pair of fried wires dropping down somewhere under the trans. Is this switch something more than a simple contact switch, indicating when you are in reverse? Does it need to be active in order to get it in reverse? I hope it’s just low hydraulics, bad gear oil… or maybe this switch?
                  Ron

Hi Ron,

The wires you are talking about could either be the reverse light wires or they may have been for the overdrive switch to make the overdrive circuit active when in third or fourth gear. If you have some holes below the bumper bar on both sides, it may have had reverse lights mounted at some stage. The switch does not have to be active, but having fried wires may cause other issues (blowing fuses).

Regards, Robin.

Ron & Linda Jones
                  Participant
                    quote gtsmrt:

Hi Ron,

The wires you are talking about could either be the reverse light wires or they may have been for the overdrive switch to make the overdrive circuit active when in third or fourth gear. If you have some holes below the bumper bar on both sides, it may have had reverse lights mounted at some stage. The switch does not have to be active, but having fried wires may cause other issues (blowing fuses).

Regards, Robin.

Hey Robin, thanks for the reply, again. I got it into reverse, today, I think it was just stiff from non use. To the right and down. I don’t seem to have the backup light holes, you discribed. I just have the big tail light holes in the tail fins. Still don’t know what those wires are for, because it doesn’t have overdrive, either. I definately won’t be hooking them up until I track them down and replace them, if I need to.
                    Cheers,
                    Ron

quote SVRon:

Hey Robin, thanks for the reply, again. I got it into reverse, today, I think it was just stiff from non use. To the right and down. I don’t seem to have the backup light holes, you discribed. I just have the big tail light holes in the tail fins. Still don’t know what those wires are for, because it doesn’t have overdrive, either. I definately won’t be hooking them up until I track them down and replace them, if I need to.
                    Cheers,
                    Ron

Hi Ron,

What is the serial number of the car? That will tell us if it once had an overdrive. The only other thing I can think of is that the wires were part of the loom which makes sense.

Regards, Robin.

Ron & Linda Jones
                    Participant
                      quote gtsmrt:

Hi Ron,

What is the serial number of the car? That will tell us if it once had an overdrive. The only other thing I can think of is that the wires were part of the loom which makes sense.

Regards, Robin.

Hi again, Robin. Sorry it’s taken me a bit to get back to you about the serial #, I kinda got sidetracked and slipped my mind. 😳 My engine # is B35018535, I cannot find any body # plate in the engine compartment. There’s an old electronic ignition module attached to the upper right, of the firewall, could it be under this?
                      Ron
                      BTW, thanks for the reply @ the SAOCA forum. I’m not sure if I’m gonna go w/Jan’s ACR or Tom’s Hatichi alt mod.

Hi Ron,

That’s OK, I’m in no rush. Your body number should be on a plate near your spec plate (that’s if you have a spec plate) on the passenger side (LHD) of the car. I believe the Alpine engine should have the same number stamped on it as found on the ID plate. Your number looks like it may not be the original engine, but that is OK mine isn’t either.
                      In regards to your alternator, you may have to do a little bit of work on the brackets, but not alot. I ended up using a Bosch alternator on my Alpine. You could also go to an auto electrician to find a decent second hand unit that still has parts available.

Regards, Robin.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.