Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob Williams
      Participant

A question regarding the serial number, the last five letters my number are “LRXFE”. I know that the “L” is for left hand drive; the “R” for roadster; the “X” for non-standard and the “FE” for Ford engine. My question is what could be “non-standard”? Could it be a different rear end ratio, or that it was purchased new with the LAT 70 wheels? Any info would be appreciated.

I suppose some of the non-standard modifications are export market related. Don’t quote me but, some possibilities might include such mundane things as …

– Pull to flash headlamps in the turn signal lever
        – Amber upper tail-light lenses
        – Shoulder strap seat belts
        – single license plate illumination bulb
        – R/L headlamp focus

I believe the Book of Norman would cover the total list of possibilities. X is typical for North American market as far as I’ve seen.

I believe that the "X" really meant that is was whatever was not standard of the UK model. I have only seen LRXFE here in the USA.
        Just like they identified Left hand drive, as RHD was(still is) the norm in the UK.
        I like to hear what others think it entails!
        Robert

It was always my understanding that it meant eXport

My understanding also eXport.

Joel

So we really all agree it is "Export" = "NON England" !! Robert

Bob Williams
        Participant

Ok Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Bob and Jean Webb
          Participant

alpines and tigers both have the LRX designation on the vin plates. my RHD lemans has the vin number followed by OD HRO.

Which means OverDrive, Home market, Right hand drive, and I forget the O offhand

Look at http://www.team.net/www/rootes/chassis.html and it all explained in detail. Robert

warren-g
            Participant

Back in the day, it was not allowed to have a yellow amber turn signal it was "European." spec. cars that had it. I know this as I imported a car in the 80’s and was forced to remove the yellow lens on the BMW 3.0 CSI coupe.
              When I got home into my 64 bug conv’t with the yellow european spec. Hella lenses on it I was truly a rebel and a rule breaker.

Some other European cars had parking lamps for when you parked Italian style on the sidewalk and hung a fender off the curb you could leave the tail or turn signal light on on that side only as a warning to other drivers.

alpine-64
              Participant

LRX = (left hand drive) (roadster) (non standard) cars that went to the USA had the X as they ran differeent lenses and lights for plates. There were several designations for cars that were export.. but they didn’t use X as they ran same spec as the UK cars.. there are LRO, and RRO cars.. left hand drive export (eurpoe, france germany etc..) and RRO right hand drive export cars (AU/NZ etc)

Viewing 11 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.