Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Gene Sokolowski
      Participant

I had hoped to already be assembling my Tiger MK1 this summer but family health problems and other projects denied me that pleasure.

I have unloaded the car from the enclosed trailer into my shop and upon returning from a trip to see my aged parents, I will, in earnest start to re-assemble the car in two weeks.

I did not take the car apart. It was stripped to the suspension when I purchased it (one million years ago). I have purchased all the new parts that I could and detailed others.

The car at this point is stripped to the suspension (tires on) with just the bonnet, rear deck and doors on the vehicle. I have a vague plan of attack on what must be done in what sequence to get the car put back together.

For those of you who have lovingly restored and assembled your Tiger, I could use your advice. What should be installed first, second, third … so that I don’t have to back track at some point because it interfere with installation of something else?

I am rewiring the car with new painless wiring kit. I have the dash gauges pre-wired with a gauge harness that hooks into the main harness at one point. I am assuming I should start with the initial wire routing before assembling anything else on the car.? In starting with the interior, should I install the pedals and steering column before installing the dash pad and then the heater system? Or carpeting before the heater system? (I think you get the drift of my inquiry).

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks all,
        Gene

Generally what I’ve done is.
        1 Install the basic wiring, hang the harness in the car before anything is in the way. This includes the battery cable from the trunk to engine compartment. At the same time you can install brake lines if not there and the fuel line, both easier to do with the engine not in the way. Install the starter solenoid too, easier with nothing yet around it. install the engine/transmission now. Some guys put it in from the top, I prefer from the bottom with the front suspension removed as there’s more room that way.
        2 Install the pedals if not there, easier with the dash out of the way. Also look at installing the heater blower assembly with dash vents and tubes, and the wiper motor and drive tube/cable. Do a basic fit of the kick panels in the foot wells to be sure the holes all line up and any new ones in the fronts are drilled. Then remove them until interior install.
        3 install the dash top cover if needed. This wraps around the front and has some fiber board pieces that hold it in place tucked up in front of where the dash will go. Install the windshield and adjust. I find it easier with the dash not yet in place. Install the door windows and quarter windows for this if not yet in place.
        4 install the steering column, leave the lower clamp piece for it on the dash bracket loose as you may need to wiggle it around to get the dash in later. Install the cables for the heater assembly, put the levers on the ends.
        5 Install the switches onto the harness for the dash. Since these go in from the back its much easier to do this when not on your back. Better lighting too.. Mark any wires for the gauges and hook the instrument ground wire to the center dash support, attach the instrument voltage regulator with its two wires to the gauges and from the harness. Hood release can be installed now too.
        6 Now install the dash. Install the heater control levers to the dash before actually attaching it to the car. you can do any gauges that you have sufficient wiring length too. Otherwise you’ll need to do these from behind. Dash installs with 4 sheet metal type large screws. Then two studs at the center, two bolt/nut sets at the steering column and one bolt at each end, all from the lower roll. Steering column will need to be attached to the underdash support once the dash is wiggled into position.
        7 Install the softop frame and soft top. easier to do with the seats and center console not yet in place. Adjust the door windows, the top frame, and hardtop if you have one, so that they seal.
        8 Install the interior, carpets first, then various panels then console and seats. Some of the panels will go over the edges of the carpets in the footwells and rear shelf.
        9 Install the gas tanks with cross line. install the trunk panels and the rest of the trunk bits.
        10 Assuming that the bumpers have been checked to be sure they’re ok, install them now. Also the remaining exterior trim. I wait until last for this to avoid catching anything on them.

This is not every little thing, but is the general order I have used.

Hi Gene,
        I’m actually going through this right now. Interesting enough, my build sequence follows Mike’s extensive list fairly closely. The only other thing I’d mention if you’re planning on doing the front suspension make that your first step. Also don’t forget the steering rack. if you haven’t already replaced the lube and the boots . The lube is easiest to do while the rack is out.

I’ve been approaching it as one subsystem at a time and trying to not jump to the next thing until one is fully finished. Its easier for me to stay organized and keep the lost parts down to a minimum. To date my order by subsystem has been something like this…
        Front suspension, Install rubber grommets everywhere! ,electrical, Dash, Steering column, Brakes, Hydraulics, Fuel system including tanks, ….Engine (just about ready to do the engine teardown after 20+ years and I can’t wait!)

It takes longer, but its a good idea to "bench test" anything that you can to make sure it functions before install. I did this with all the gauges, fuel sender, starter solenoid etc….
        Good Luck…nice looking car BTW!

Gene Sokolowski
        Participant

Back from my 2,300 mile round trip to visit aged, ailing parents.

Thanks much Mike and Ironbeast for your answers. They gave me lots to think about. I am sketching out an outline of the re-assembly strategy and will be posting it for any further corrections or additions. I will also be asking many questions as I get the project underway.

I think I will document my ‘step-by-step’ along the way for an ‘as built’ assembly strategy (if someone would be interested in that in the future).

Thanks again,
          Gene

I would be very interested in that for a several part article for the newsletter.

Please keep me posted on your progress at: WHIZZZBANG13@AOL.COM

Fred Baum

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.