Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Good picture showing the difference in aerodynamic styling of two cars 50 years apart in age. The C6 Z06 has a Cd of .34 and the Tiger .45 . What stood to me was the windshield rake. The Tiger windshield looks like an airbrake ! Picture is a screen grab from a video at the 1/2 mile race last Oct. in French Lick IN.

Yes, you are out there shaming them [newer/more aerodynamic cars] with pure power:weight, always nice work out there 8)

Does your "high speed" (not shown here) chin spoiler improve the .45 any?

The front spoiler ( air dam ) certainly helped in the standing mile races . I have had more trouble with the back of the car getting light. In the Oct 1/2 mile I had to put on the rear deck with the spoiler . Concerning power to weight : my car is 4.25 pounds/HP , the Z06 ( 600 hp ) was around 5.1 pounds/HP . Better aero didn’t help , he couldn’t catch me. Later in the day I ran another Z06 with a reported 720 hp , so about the same power to weight as the Tiger . In that race I stayed close till second gear ( when the Corvette could get traction ) , then he just pulled away.

I thought that I remembered you saying that you had the power:weight edge on a stock Z06.
      You’ve done a great job of "minimizing" the 50 year age difference with the upgrades to the powertrain & suspension, but seems like the Sunbeam factory sorta let you down with their lack of aero progress 🙄
      In that 120+ mph range, I’m a little surprised that you don’t have more "issues" that need to be tamed.

What do you think "could" happen with something like your drivetrain in Tom’s GT2 chassis/body?

Thanks for posting.

Sorry if there was some confusion , here are some examples :
      my Tiger 4.25 lbs./hp With only a 225/50 15 rear tire.
      C6 Z06 6.2 lbs./hp
      ZR1 Corvette 5.4 lbs./hp The Tiger and ZR1(stock) both do the 1/2 mile in 156-157 mph.
      C7 Z06 6.16 lbs/hp Several videos on YouTube of these running 145-146 mph
      Hellcat 6.29 lbs.hp Ran one twice that was 800hp ,won both times . At the last 1/2 race , Hellcats were pushing 1000 hp and running 175 mph.
      Nissan GTR 7.1 to 7.3 lbs/hp varies by year . Good video on YouTube of me and a 2010 ? GTR we stayed even till around 100 mph then I pulled ahead. I also ran an Alpha 9 GTR ( 900hp ) two years ago . Not even close , he was much faster.

Both Tom and I both have our motors built by the same shop here in Cincinnati (Paul’s Automotive). Two very different motors though , Tom’s is a purpose built race motor that has to follow the SCCA rulebook. When I had my motor built I had two requests , that it could be street driven and run on pump gas. My motor is also much bigger (70+ cubic inches). A couple years back when Tom looked at my dyno graph ,his comment was if he had that much torque he would never lose.

Great stuff Hugh.
      I was wondering if the GT2 body would be more aerodynamic (less like the proverbial brick) at those speeds… did sorta figure that without all the rigid "you must this/you can’t that" SCCA rules, your engine is "better". I suppose that Tom doesn’t see really high speeds on most tracks?

Bench racing is fun plus it doesn’t cost anything. So here is my guess. With Tom’s Gt2 body the Cd is certainly better than a stock Tiger ( Cd .45 ) but not as good as a C6 Z06 Corvette (Cd .34 ). Tom’s car weighs about 250 lbs. less than my Tiger and with my motor would have a power/weight ratio just under 4 lbs./hp . I have seen a Z06 with the same power to weight as my Tiger run a 173 mph 1/2 mile. I think with the right gear the GT2 body could run 167-168 mph in the 1/2 mile.

quote Hugh Guynes:

Bench racing is fun plus it doesn’t cost anything. So here is my guess. With Tom’s Gt2 body the Cd is certainly better than a stock Tiger ( Cd .45 ) but not as good as a C6 Z06 Corvette (Cd .34 ). Tom’s car weighs about 250 lbs. less than my Tiger and with my motor would have a power/weight ratio just under 4 lbs./hp . I have seen a Z06 with the same power to weight as my Tiger run a 173 mph 1/2 mile. I think with the right gear the GT2 body could run 167-168 mph in the 1/2 mile.

Yeah, that’s what I was trying to get to… I know Tom has those wide flares, but certainly no "near vertical" windshield!

Next thing you’ll be posting that Tom wants to trade his GT2 body for your monster motor 😯 🙄 😆

Thanks for the fun discussion.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.