Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I was fortunate enough to become the “next caretaker” of Wally Swift’s wonderful Sunbeam Alpine. I would love to hear from anyone who may have stories or photos about Wally and his car. These will be collected and shared with others at car shows and events. I am keeping Wally’s car just as he left it and hope to autocross it just as he would have-and hopefully with just a little of his success! Thank-you, Eric Gibeaut[b][/b]

Are there some online pictures of Wally’s car available?

Frank

Keep an eye on this section of the board for a full report on Wally’s Alpine but for now here is a picture.

Eric,
      I notice that the logos ar gone and also the wheels have changed. What else is different? Is the “F” for France still on the back?
      Robert

I have all the magnetic signs. The F for France is still there as is the cloverleaf on the trunklid. The LAT 72’s stayed with Jack for the Tiger and the Alpine is now running a rare set of J.A. Pierce wheels that Wally used to have on the car about 10 years ago. This photo of Wally driving his car was taken at the Maine United-Wally’s last United. Eric

Hi Eric,
      Don’t forget the Rootes Review which is holding space for you when you get from under the car to write something down.
      At the 2000 (?) BASH at Tiger Tom’s my youngest son Eric, now the owner of our family Tiger, was taken into tow by Wally who explained at length some of the advantages and difficulties of having an old car. While others around us were talking about the advantages of various cams and carb sizes, Wally was patiently going through the basics with Eric, who has never forgotten the attention given him by such a revered figure.
      I used to have to drive in the Tiger in the 1970s and 1980s to southern Pennsylvania for business reasons and when I stopped for gas, I would meet young men who would mention they had friends who had one of those. I would ask what happened to them, and several times the answer was, “He got killed.” The combination of narrow roads and hills was not right for the Tiger in the hands of testosterone fuelled young men.
      I guess the reason for so many Tigers in Pennsylvania was Wally and his energy as representative.
      I wish they could have talked to Wally as my son Eric did at Tiger Toms.
      Jim Anderson

Now here is a picture for you three guys and Wallys car…

Eric

FYI. I was the source for Wally’s JAP Magna wheels. They
      were on my Tiger when I got in 1978. The original owner
      said the JAP stood for JA Priestly and English form that made
      auto parts. You can see some Morgan Trikes with JAP
      engines. That the same JAP.

The wheels have the perfect offset for the Tiger. Anyway
      I ran across a complete set of LAT 9’s and needed $100
      to buy them. I was talking to Wally on the phone and
      mentioned the wheels were for sale. He was estastic.
      He said the only ones he knew of were on Tiger Toms
      race car. So the deal was struck.

I met Wally with the wheels at a SAAC meet in Detroit. I
      had used some American Racing center caps that I had
      peeled their decal off and stuck on a Tiger’s head cut from
      the CAT decal. The used silicone glue to make sure the caps
      stayed. Wally really liked that and couldn’t wait to faunt
      to Tom that his Magna had center caps.

Be careful when mounting tires. The wheel have a ribbed
      outer ring that are easily damaged by a tire iron.

I understand that there are a couple of sets in CA.

While not a LAT option they are correct as a racing application
      for the Sunbeam.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the info about my wheels. It was good to find out the history of them and how they used to be yours! I do have another set of them-I bought them at Tiger Tom’s BASH a few years ago. He was selling the wheels that used to be on his tow Tiger. I also have a set of JAP wheels that fit a Mini-and will be putting them on my Mini soon! Eric

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.