Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Well, the time is growing near that my Tiger which has been hiding in my garage completely dissassembled for the last 25+ years is begging to be put back together again. Back in the day of my wild youth, I wanted to paint the car Carnival Red from its original Midnight Blue and wanted to do it right, so I took the car completely apart. Without a second thought, I simply drilled out the two rivits of the VIN plate for a clean paint job. I know, I know…BAD MISTAKE! (Please spare me the lecture as I’ve beat myself up over it for many years.) I recall the days of seeing the "original factocy rivits" selling on ebay for almost $250! This issue has taken the wind out of my sails for all these years. I am the 3rd owner of the car since 1974 and KNOW its a Tiger but apparently I’m the only one who will ever know that! Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can fix my problem? By the way, it will remain Midnight Blue! Thanks!

Owen Mead

Take the car, when ready, to a TAC session to have it verified. Rivets are not the only way to tell a Tiger from a fake.

Fred Baum

quote CLEVITE:

Rivets are not the only way to tell a Tiger from a fake.

Your car can be authenticated as a Tiger even if you are missing the VIN plate, much less the rivets. There have been Algers identified that had the VIN plate and correct rivets. The Alger builder just cut the panel from the Tiger and installed it on the Alpine. Rivets are not close to a sure indicator these days. Wait till these cars hit the $100K money, the TAC will be very important if not required.

Have you seen all of the stink over Shelby suing the SAAC for their registry database? It is because that database can identify fake Shelby cars. Shelby is quite the snake you know.

I plan on having my Tiger TACed at TU 31 this year.

I appreciate the info! I shouldnt be concerned as I’ll probably take the car to the grave with me, but I sure would like it to appear as stock as possible and to avoid any questions of vin tampering as far as the law is concerned (not that your average cop would be able to suspect foul play!). Does anyone know of a real close source of a rivet that would pass as the real deal?

Hello, members I have the same problem with the rivets. My car went under water during Katrina and the rivets just rotted off. I’f anyone knows something close to stock please let me know

Jeff Nichols
      Participant

The rivets are aluminum. If the rivets rotted off, I don’t hold much hope for the rest of the car!

I don’t know that having the rivits doing the aluminum version if rusting away spells doom for the car. I’ve had many components where the rivits have turned to powder and the steel was still ok. I think the dissimiliar metals causes the aluminum to go faster. That being said, being underwater is never a good thing.

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

i have to agree with mike when it comes to having cars under water. all you can do is strip the car down and start all over again .trust me when i say flood water does weird things to a car. just ask my insurance company.they paid a lot to restore four of my alpines after setting thru a flood . aluminum parts took the blunt of the damage .they corroded bad from all the junk in the water .and this happened in ohio .it wasn’t salt water .

Viewing 7 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.