Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jim Stone
      Participant

I would like to replace the door skin on the SIV I am restoring. It would probably be easier to just replace the door, but the car is completely rust free and I’d hate to put a different door on it only to have rust bubbles appear 6 months after it is painted. Neither Sunbeam Spares, Classic Sunbeam, nor Martel seem to carry full skins (the door damage is in the center of the door). The only option I have been able to find in the States is Victoria British, but their sheet metal doesn’t have a very good reputation. Has anyone ever tried one? Are they usable? I’m not doing this work myself; its being done professionally, so some tweaking to the panel shouldn’t be too big a deal.

Alternatively, does anyone know a good alternative?

Thanks.

Is the damage really severe? Why not have the original doors repaired, keeping the originality of the car.

Fred Baum

Jim Stone
        Participant
          quote CLEVITE:

Is the damage really severe? Why not have the original doors repaired, keeping the originality of the car.

Fred Baum

That was my original thinking, but the body guy says that repairing the door (the original damage has been repaired non-professionally once before) will require a fair amount of body filler and he would prefer not to have to go that route. However, that does remain an option, but I’ve seen his work before and I am inclined to take his advice.

I don’t see why one could not make a skin.If you have access to a metal shop and can use the rollers or have them roll it to match.
          I would even think of attepting it for myself using a 6 inch pipe ??? or something big enough to form the curve.An air flanger could work I think to do the bending of the edge.
          Of course it is easier to say it might work than making it work.

Why not give Smitty’s Sunbeam in San Diego a call and have him send you a couple of rust free doors? Factory stuff always fits.

Viewing 4 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.