Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Any one using a tremec 5 speed, if so what ratios are you running in the tranny and rear and how much trouble did the swap give you. ? Also I would like to use my reverse lock out shifter, mostly for looks, the lock out doesent have to function, any bolt on kits or am I fabricating ? Also what kind of clearance problems did you have in the tunnel area.

Jeff Nichols
      Participant

You may want to look at this link. Its a how to on installing a Tremec transmission.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/CF … REMEC1.asp

Jeff Nichols
        Participant

Here is one more you may want to look at.

http://www.tigerengineering.net

I looked at both links, I have to say the conversion kit looks sweet, but at 4500. that wont be happening here. I just took the body off the rotisserie and got it rolling again. If I had to re work the tunnel I guess it wouldn’t take all that long. Most of my driving is on the street so the extra top end would help out a lot. And I like the options available for the tremec.

66tigermk1a
          Participant
            quote Ct Tiger:

Any one using a tremec 5 speed, if so what ratios are you running in the tranny and rear and how much trouble did the swap give you. ? Also I would like to use my reverse lock out shifter, mostly for looks, the lock out doesent have to function, any bolt on kits or am I fabricating ? Also what kind of clearance problems did you have in the tunnel area.

Thos new Tremec TKO’s are too big for the most part but I’m using the ‘older’ Tremec ‘Ford motorsports 7003Z ‘z’-spec T5 ‘ which is good for 330 ft. lbs. torque and has a 2.95 1st gear…$1295 new at Summit… I also changed the o.d. gear to .73 from .63 and run 3.54 posi with 23.7" tall tires.
            The hardest thing about the swap was the information gathering… I used an AMC tailhousing for shifter location… a little hard to find but I’ve found a couple here and there. You can use the S10 tailhousing for a more forward shifter location or leave the tremec stock ( mustang shift placement ) and cut the car… I had to cut very little with my setup.. on those other 2 you have to cut out a whole new shift hole. The Tigers United link above is for a Tremec 3550 which is much larger at the rear and needs a lot more clearancing. I can give you lots of info and links by e-mail about the different swaps jim@island.net
            A GREAT way to figure out what different ratios/rears/tire will do is download Bob Hokanson’s excellent transmission calculator here..http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/HokansonGearSpeedXL/pt-HokansonGearSpeedXL.asp
            As far as shifter, I made my own stick for a special Hurst shifter setup that a guy on e-bay sells for S10/AMC tailhousings on T5’s but I have a repro 289 Cobra handle on the Hurst Comp Plus on my toploader. It has the ‘dummy’ t and would actually bolt up to T5 setup but way too high. In the Tiger,the bottom of the shift handle is about even with the tunnel vs the toploader which is down on the side of the trans…

Thank you I will be in contact with you, I have access to a entire warehouse of tremec trannys so I should be able to find the parts I need .

66tigermk1a
            Participant

Ya, send me an email and let me know where you’re located… I know of a warehouse not that far from NY,NY that has literally tons of T5 stuff including some AMC’s…

Jim

66tigermk1a
              Participant

I just came across a whole ‘nother idea…
                Keisler Engineering makes a T-45 that they have modified the front housing on so it bolts straight up to a toploader bellhousing. It’s fairly compact and from the look of it would need a longer driveshaft.
                They have multiple shifter locations and one is 16" from the bell ( toploader is 15 1/2" ) . They have a 350 ft. lb version for $1799 and a 425 for $2099 but they both have 3.37 1st which isn’t the best IMO… but in about 3 months, they will have a 2.80 1st. version good for 600 ft. lbs. ! They said in a Tiger that the 350 version would probably do 500 hp with the light weight of the car. The torque test is continuous for 24 hrs. It sure looks like it would fit with minimal cutting…

The 350 model comes with a 10 spline input… the others 26 so you would have to change the clutch disk to that ( readily available ) … all the outputs are 31 spline ( T5/toploader is 28 ) but they come with a new yoke anyway… They are definitely worth a look I think…

Jim

It sounds like the 26 spline input you refer to , is a standard chevy input spline, I used the S10 box in our Tiger you need to make an adaptor plate, this will bring the shifter almost in line with the
                stock placement, S10 boxes are cheap and do work were living proof!

66tigermk1a
                Participant

The Tremec TKO’s for Fords come with a 1 1/8" 26 spline… might be the same input shaft as the chevies… I know some S10 had I think 1"-14 spline.
                  I had all three, Mustang,S10 and AMC tailhousings here at one point… my AMC is within 1/8" front/back of stock location with the adapter to a toploader bell. The S10 was about 4" farther forward of that… I thought all S10 T5’s had ‘stump puller’ 1st gears at least in the high 3’s ??

350 pounds of torque would be fine in a car the size of a tiger, The launch weight is so much lower than bigger cars. I dont plan on racing the car even though it was raced in the 60,s and 70,s for me a practical street car is a much better fit. I really dont want to start cutting up the tunnel as I just finished the metal work on the body and am starting to get the body work completed. I dont mind making some adjustments to the shifter hole, Also money is always a concern, Not that i am cheap just that the past couple of years have not been kind to my business.
                  All that being said the T 5 should be OK for what I am doing and a lot easier to install.

Mike Schreiner
                  Participant

I have one laying in my GaRage floor identical to the one I installed in my Tiger….built it as a spare…but would sell it if your interested…it has the chevy S10 tail housing installed…on a 5.0 mustang T5…..Mike in Florida

AFTER READING JIMS POST I VISITED KEISLERS WEBSITE. VERY INTERESTING. THEIR RS SERIES USES THE GUTS OUT OF A T-45 TRANSMISSION (LATE MODEL MUSTANG) IN A CASE THAT BOLTS UP TO A 6 BOLT TOPLOADER BELLHOUSING, OR A 5 BOLT WITH AN ADAPTER PLATE (RE: THEIR FALCON KIT). It appears to be reasonably priced and appears to fit the tiger trans tunnel AND SHIFTER LOCATION without cutting the tunnel or the cross brace. A DIFFERENT DIVESHAFT NEEDS TO BE MADE TO FIT THE OUTPUT YOKE BUT THATS CHEAP COMPARED TO MAJOR SURGICAL MODIFACATIONS NECESSARY WITH THE T-5 . HOPEFULLY SOME MEMBER WILL CHECK IT OUT FURTHER WHETHER IT WILL REALY FIT WITH MINIMAL HEADACHES AND EXPENSE. ROGER

quote mikeflbmer:

I have one laying in my GaRage floor identical to the one I installed in my Tiger….built it as a spare…but would sell it if your interested…it has the chevy S10 tail housing installed…on a 5.0 mustang T5…..Mike in Florida

Hi Mike.
                    Do you still have a Mustang T5 transmission laying in your garage floor ? If yes is it a NWC or WC ? What is the model number
                    1352-??? Also what is the price you need for ?
                    Thanks !
                    Denis Mercier
                    Quebec,Canada.
                    P.S. I’m gone a be at Boynton Beach for the winter i’m owner of a house here.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.