Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Dave Gulau
      Participant

I am planning on attending this United. It will be the first I haven’t driven to. Looking to tow the Tiger on a U-Haul tow dolly (2 wheel). Have others done this? Do I need to disconnect the drive shaft or better to leave intact? Looks like about 432 miles.

David Hall
        Participant

All I have read says to remove the driveshaft for all but short trips. This is to avoid excessive wear on the transmission. Of course, should probably drain the transmission oil prior to it being on the dolly, or at least cover the end with a bag while lying on the ground disconnecting (ask me how I know) There may be a proper plug for the output that would be handy. Of course, remember to refill prior to driving. This assumes good structural integrity of the unibody. David

Joe and Cheryl Betz
          Participant

If you are going to U-Haul I would suggest getting a car trailer and not worrying about a dolly.

David Hall is correct. The drive shaft on for short trips is OK. Long tries, it needs removed. The reason for removing is to save the transmission from future issues/destruction because it does not receive the proper lubrication.

For this reason, long hauls require removing the driveshaft. And draining most trans oil. Nothing messier then oil running out after pulling the drive shaft.

OR
            put on a trailer if the tow vehicle is suitable to carry the load.

David Hall
            Participant

Of course a trailer is better than a tow dolly, and an enclosed trailer is better than an open one.
              UHaul will rent their car trailer by itself. They are rather vague about what is an “acceptable” tow vehicle. Neither my old Toyota Sienna with tow package, nor my wife’s Lexus RX 360 will qualify. Not sure why, perhaps tow hitch height. Of their trucks, the pickup will work, or the van. But now you have to pay mileage, 69 cents per mile. For me, 900 miles at their “special rate” for 5 days was $708 plus tax and gas. Additional miles would be 49 cents per. Would love to have my car there to get a TAC certificate, not certain of the wisdom of driving it that far. Have not checked with Penske, but from their website you’d need to rent one of their larger trucks to get a car trailer. So a trade off of renting a truck and trailer, with wear and tear on them vs my own, vs using the tow dolly I own. David

James Lindner
              Keymaster

I have used a Uhaul car trailer to tow my Tiger several times over the years…the last time to SUNI in 2021. I seem to recall it was a flat rate of about $50/day. There were no mileage charges. You had to return the trailer to the same location you picked it up from.

I will say…be careful when loading. The Track (width between centerline of tires) on a Tiger barely covers the width between the ramps. You only have an inch or so on each ramp. USE TWO PEOPLE. I have had to do it alone and then I barely get the car onto the ramps, shut it off and set brake, get out and check where tires are on the ramp and if OK get back in, start it up and load it.

See the attached photo from the 2021 trip. Notice how close the wheels are to the inner edge of the ramp. It is the same on the other side.

James Lindner
                Keymaster

Attaching resized photo.

Jim

Mike Schreiner
                  Participant

I use a dolly (tows great) but I unbolt the rear of the driveshaft and strap and wire it up in place under the car (oil satays in tranny) then put the 4 bolts back in before taking it off the dolly)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.