Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone,
      While removing my cylinder heads for a rebuild (and yes, you can remove the heads without even lowering the engine) I decided to put an end to those leaky remote oil filter hoses. I’ve read quite a few discussions about shorter replacement filters that can be screwed right on the the engine block. I decided that I would rather install the 90 degree adapter from Ford racing and still use the full size filter. Imagine my surprise when I removed the old remote hoses and adapted and found that my original 260 block actually has a female 1 1/16-12 thread in the block. Every filter and the Ford 90 degree adapter all want a male 3/4-16 threaded connection. I’ve never read anything about an adapter, has anyone else run into this problem? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for anyone’s insight and guidance here.

Fred

There is a post in the Mod. tiger under oil filters, has the filter numbers and also the adaptor number.

Thanks for the response, maybe my question was not exactly clear. I have the Ford 90 degree adapter here in my hand. I also went out and purchased one of the short filters discussed in the Mod Tiger forum. Each of these wants to attach to a threaded stud (with a hole through it for oil flow) sticking out from the block. My stock 260 block has no such connection. It has a hole drilled and tapped in the block. Therefore I need to make an adapter (1 1/16-12 thread on one end, 3/4-16 on the other) in order to attach either the Ford part or any other type of filter to my block. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever run into this problem.

Thanks,
      Fred

You will most likely have to go to the wrecking yard and take one off a another motor

Check with a Mustang parts supplier or Ford dealer. The oil filter adapter insert is still being sold by Ford. Eric

Yes I got one from Mustangs Unlimited along with a handful of other mechanical bits.

I was recently in a similar situation and discovered what you need is called an ‘oil filter insert’; Ford Part #F1AZ6890-B. Can be found or ordered through the local Ford dealership or an aftermarket supplier specializing in Ford parts.

Good luck!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.