Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Restoring a MK2 Tiger. Current gearbox is a fresh but incorrect HEH-E.
      Should be HEH-CF wide ratio? Does any one have one for sale or have any leads?

David Hall
      Participant

You could send the transmission to Dan Williams in NC, or David Kee in Texas to have it rebuilt with wide ratio gears. Or you could buy the parts and have it done locally, or even by yourself if you feel competent. The only difference would be in the tag. And you would know your bell housing and transmission will fit mate up (do you know if you have a 5 or 6 bolt engine, or narrow vs wide face tranny?) David

Thanks David for your feedback.

I have never driven my Tiger and I am trying to restore it to original if possible. The engine is a 6 bolt period correct 289. The gearbox is my real unknown commodity. It is labeled HEH-E and came installed with a cast iron bell housing “DITA – 6394-AA”. My transmission tunnel was modified at that time but since restored back to original. I do not know how to tell if it is a wide or narrow gearbox and it may no longer fit my tunnel? I have since purchased an alloy bell housing “C5DA – 6394-A” apparently for the MK2 Tiger and it does not fit my HEH-E gearbox face?

Any advise would be appreciated…

David Hall
        Participant

So you have an original 6 bolt 289 engine, and the original type aluminum bellhousing for a 6 bolt, with wide pattern facing. Your transmission is a narrow face close ratio appropriate for earlier Mkl and MklA Tigers. Your iron bellhousing is a later one for a 351 Ford. Your options would be finding an original Mkll transmission, perhaps from someone who went to a five speed. The internals for a Mkll should be a wide ratio set up, which most prefer over a close ration. The narrow ratio gears have value to some. You can rebuild your transmission with wide ratio gears. Go to http://www.davidkeeetoploaders.com for lots of info and pictures and explanation. Dan Williams is also a great resource, and rebuilt my narrow ratio to wide ratio for about $1100. Don’t think he has a website, does all the work himself, and loves to talk on the phone (after noon EST)
          If you use your present case, you’ll need to either use a later scatter shield (Quick Time or Lakewood) or modify your present aluminum bellhousing. New aluminum is added, in order to tap the appropriate holes for the narrow pattern trans face. Randy Willett, in NH,who goes by oneoffive on other sites (not sure about this one) could do it for you.
          Or you could go with a 5 speed… but $$$$ David

Joe and Cheryl Betz
          Participant

https://www.4speedtoploaders.com/
            Here is the site that David mentioned in the prior post, David Kee. Site has a wealth of information. I would confirm your gear ratio as someone could have changed at some point. Just open the top cover and could the teeth.

Joe and Cheryl Betz
            Participant

Happy counting and good luck

Just counted the teeth in the Top Loader gearbox.
              It is definitely a close ratio gear set.

Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.