Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Two questions about flywheels.

Has anyone had experience with refacing the flywheel prior to clutch replacement? When a clutch needs replacing, the surface usually has some scoring and heat cracks in most of the flywheels I have seen. How critical is the surface finish on the Tiger engine? The WSM says do not remove more than 0.045 in from the face.

I wonder if its worth refacing the flywheel at all as this may not remove all the cracks, and therefore money is then wasted. I have a spare flywheel that someone has refaced to about 0.050 and there are still heat cracks; I am reluctant to use it though, or even get mine refaced. May just as well buy a new one, what do you think?

The second question, the flywheel has a thicker section on one side which suggests it is used as a counterweight, but there is no requirement to fit it in any particular position (or is there?).

The six bolt holes for the crank are not equidistantly spaced, so you’ll quickly find that the flywheel will only fit on the crank in one position.

If you have heat cracks in the surface of the flywheel (and machining doesn’t remove them) then throw it out. If the flywheel explodes it can cut your feet off. Replacement flywheels, even SFI approved ones, cost less than $300. Make sure your new flywheel has the appropriate balance weight: either 28 oz-in for 260/289/302 engines, or 50 oz-in for 5.0 engines.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.