Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi – hoping someone can help with a clutch adjustment question on my Tiger. The clutch is fairly new with approximately 1000 miles on it and engages in the upper 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the pedal travel. I’d like the clutch to engage in the lower 1/2 of the pedal travel when letting it out.

I’ve adjusted the rod between the slave cylinder and the throw-out arm and it doesn’t seem to make any difference as to where the pedal engages. Have gone from having the adjusting nut all the way in (screwed down as close as it can get to the slave) to 7 or so full turns out. Doesn’t feel much different in either position.

Maybe I’m confused as to which way I need to be adjusting the rod nut to get the pedal to engage sooner. Or – is there something else that could affect where it engages? The slave is a stock girling slave; master is a Datsun 280Z Tocico (sp?) tandem master.

Have you tried to put the clutch pushrod in the other hole in the clutch pedal? I think there are two holes there and that should change the position where the clutch disengages. Between that and the adjustable pushrod there are no other adjustments that I know of. I would have thought that you would have seen a difference by adjusting the slave cylinder rod though….Eric

quote 65sunbeam:

Have you tried to put the clutch pushrod in the other hole in the clutch pedal? I think there are two holes there and that should change the position where the clutch disengages. Between that and the adjustable pushrod there are no other adjustments that I know of. I would have thought that you would have seen a difference by adjusting the slave cylinder rod though….Eric

Thanks Eric. I looked at that and also thought there was a 2nd hold on the pedal. There was only one hole on the clutch pedal. However, there were 2 on the brake pedal. It just occurred to me now that perhaps the brake and clutch pedals are exactly the same (other than the holes) and could they be swapped by someone previously? I haven’t looked that closely at them…will have to do that tonight.

Anyone know if the pedals are interchangable and which one should be where? Thanks!

i believe the clutch pedal is slightly shorter due to it mounting lower on the firewall than the brake pedal. That being said you probably can swap them if not having the pedal pads line up horizontally doesn’t bother you.

Changing holes in pedal will not alter the disengagement/engagement experienced in the upper 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the pedal travel. Nor will adjusting the slave cyl position or adjusting rod length. The pedal location is directly proportional to the bore ratio of the master and slave cyl and the the pressure plate requirements. The easiest way to affect peddle travel is to change the master cyl. Going to a slightly smaller bore than the present one will increase the amount of pedal travel required.

quote tigertoms:

Changing holes in pedal will not alter the disengagement/engagement experienced in the upper 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top of the pedal travel. Nor will adjusting the slave cyl position or adjusting rod length. The pedal location is directly proportional to the bore ratio of the master and slave cyl and the the pressure plate requirements. The easiest way to affect peddle travel is to change the master cyl. Going to a slightly smaller bore than the present one will increase the amount of pedal travel required.

Thanks Tom. Not sure I follow entirely on which way I need to go with bore size in order to get the clutch to engage sooner. In other words, I’d like the clutch to engage when the pedal is closer to the floor. Right now it’s currently at the top of the pedal travel (all the way out). To do that, should I go smaller or larger on the bore (believe it’s currently 5/8). Any suggestions on what size to try and are there recommended master cylinders that will fit? Thanks again.

If you fit a smaller master cylinder, your pedal will engage/disengage the clutch nearer the floor, which is what you are looking for.

I dont think there is smaller one that will fit without some modifications. I fitted a (larger bore)Wilwood to my Alpine V6 to increase travel, and I had to make a special pushrod, and also change the hose adapter as the thread was different.

quote yendisniaps:

I dont think there is smaller one that will fit without some modifications. I fitted a (larger bore)Wilwood to my Alpine V6 to increase travel, and I had to make a special pushrod, and also change the hose adapter as the thread was different.

Thanks. If anyone has experience on reducing pedal travel using other masters or slaves, I’d welcome the input. My concern with the high engagement is excessive clutch wear. Currently when I’m really pushing the car, I can smell some clutch burning due to "slippage" during that first 3/4 of the pedal travel. I could change my driving habits to not depress the clutch fully to make sure it engages sooner with less slippage or feathering in, but I’m old enough to know that I’m too old to change my habits ๐Ÿ˜€ . Prior to the Tiger, I’ve had a number of TR6’s that engaged right off the floor and were either "in" or "out"…that’s my preference.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.