Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am still sorting my new Mk 1a Tiger.

I noticed today that one of the rubber boots or covers on the steering is badly cracked.

I read that, in oeser to replace the boots the steering must be removed.

Until I can arrange for that to be done, is there any harm in duct taping/securing a plastic cover over the broken boot?

I hope to drive the car as soon as a brake mc arrives but would postpone if the broken boot is important enough to ground the car…

TIA,

Allan

Hi Allan
      I would not drive it much with cracked boots as they need oil in them to lubricate that hard to replace steering rack. I replaced both boots with the rack still bolted in the car. I counted the number of turns I unscrewed the tie rod ends when I took them off so when I replaced them, steering alignment was the same. I then filled the rack by jacking up one side pretty high and inserted a rubber hose connected to a bottle of oil under the tie rod end of the seal before I clamped it down. Not a fun job but not too hard to do. Can you post some photos of your Tiger? Eric

Hi Eric,

did you have to remove the ball joints in order to remove the the rod ends?

And remove the radiator in order to access the boot clips?

I will try and post some pictures although the car is still dirty and is on jack-stands will the wheels off…

allan

No the balljoints stay in place-you just have to pop the tie rod ends off the steering arms on the wheel hubs using a tie rod end remover tool or a "pickle fork". The radiator stays in place too.
      I cut off the stock rubber boot clips and used hose clamps to hold the rubber boots in place.
      Thanks for posting photos of your Tiger! My favorite color too-is that the original paint? If so try and keep the car as a survivor-there are too few of them left….
      Eric

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.