Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Well I finally got my new headers in earlier this week & while I was test fitting them – I decided why not pull the starter to investigate the block casting numbers?

The block numbers are: C90E-6015-C

To my surprise after a little bit of on-line research I determined the motor’s actually a 351.

I never knew people were shoe-horning the 351’s into Tigers. I guess the lack of clearance from the top of the air cleaner to the hood now makes sense…

*Side note: The new headers went in without ANY modifications having had to be made to the tubes. ( quite a bit of cursing though!!! )

The 351 is not only taller but also its wider, and the 8.2 deck motors are tight so you might want to recheck you #

quote Fasttiger:

The 351 is not only taller but also its wider, and the 8.2 deck motors are tight so you might want to recheck you #

LOL… When I first deciphered the numbers I thought NO WAY! & immediately found a different source to reference from, then another, and another, & so on through out the remainder of the afternoon…

Here’s a pic of the block:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/ma … ine020.jpg

If I some how read the numbers wrong – or interpreted the Ford casting number conversion charts wrong, let me know.

quote Fasttiger:

I have a 351 in my 64 Spirit of Lister.Yes it is TIGHT.Headers will not fit in the stock body configuration.I used the cast manifolds and then it was tight for the exhaust pipes coming down and around.The engine is done in a mild manner.Cam, 4 barrel etc.Love this motor as it is pretty docile.Will pull in 5th from 800RPM.270 HP and 330 pounds of torque.Ran 12 times on the dyno setting it up..Trans is Motorsport 5 speed and rear end is 8 inch Ford.Getting this to run cool was a problem at the start. Griffin rad from Doug Jennings was the best change plus louvered hood and side vents from the engine compartment.Still it doesn’t like heavy traffic in the summer.Eletric fan helps for a short bit.

quote Fasttiger:

LOL! You were right… ๐Ÿ˜†

Well – after floundering around countless web-sites & automotive forums in which Ford casting number are deciphered, I FINALLY concluded that the engine in FACT – is not a 351W.

It seems strange too me though that my engine would share nearly identical casting numbers to it’s bigger sibling? ( the numbers STILL point to a 351W -I have yet to locate a source which states otherwise? )

Speculation & bad information/advice aside – I stumbled, literally, into this realization by changing out the heads. ALL 351W heads utilize a 1/2" bolt where the 302 & 289’s utilize a 7/16" bolt.

Simply put – The 1/2" ARP bolts that I purchased for the reassemble didn’t fit. ( like I said – stumbled )

quote :

ALL 351W heads utilize a 1/2″ bolt where the 302 & 289’s utilize a 7/16″ bolt.

The Boss 302 blocks of ’69-’70 have 1/2" bolts

My Tiger’s Tale

quote T-GRRR:

quote :

ALL 351W heads utilize a 1/2″ bolt where the 302 & 289’s utilize a 7/16″ bolt.

The Boss 302 blocks of ’69-’70 have 1/2″ bolts

My Tiger’s Tale

LOL – I stand corrected – again!

I wish I had one of those blocks… ๐Ÿ˜†

Just read in an a hot rod mag they are making a new boss 302 blk with the screw in freeze plugs.
      I’m using a World Products Block and its beefer than a boss blk. and can be bored to a 377Ci
      You can get the info on the new block from http://www.fordraingparts.com

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.