Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author

I was just wondering if everyone has stopped working on there cars or has it just been to cold ๐Ÿ™‚
      We should have the new motor built by this fri and picking it up. Took forever to get the pistons done from JE.
      So far I’ve never have had so much fun with a stock 302 on 10lbs of boost. No race gas or NOS and my wife is loving it. Had a little run in with a 04 Corba and he said I was BS about it being a stock 302, after I ask him if he missed a gear ๐Ÿ˜†
      It will take another month or so to get it in the car was hoping to make it to Fla. for a race at the end of march but does’nt look like we are going to make and plus race funds are getting short, wife says retirement is not to far away ๐Ÿ™
      I will post progress reports

Mike Schreiner
      Participant

Jerry, You must be talking about Moroso (now called Westp Palm International ) …it is so close to my home I can hear them run in the distance…..how long since you have been there? (you moved from florida years ago) It is reworked, track and drags and go carts can all race at once….I go often…….My freind Joe Morse comes with me …we drove the track recently in his Tiger. (You are related to him somehow?) …Hope you can make it in March…if so I will see you there…..Mike Schreiner in Jupiter, Fl

Been trying to work on the Tiger so I can drive it to Suni… no time to post. Finally got the dual master cylinders on the firewall (story and pictures here: http://members.shaw.ca/tsmit/pedals/pedals.html, machining brake caliper adapters right now, then I have to plumb all that stuff and THEN I wire in the Retrotek BossEFI to see if it all works.

We’ve had the coldest winter in quite a while here in Calgary – snow on the ground since the middle of December, and several weeks of -20 and colder. In-floor heating in the garage is awesome.

Jerry,
        Be sure and keep us posted on results with new motor, also where and when you might be running.
        Still have about 2 feet of snow here… Spring seems so far away.

quote mikeflbmer:

Jerry, You must be talking about Moroso (now called Westp Palm International ) …it is so close to my home I can hear them run in the distance…..how long since you have been there? (you moved from florida years ago) It is reworked, track and drags and go carts can all race at once….I go often…….My freind Joe Morse comes with me …we drove the track recently in his Tiger. (You are related to him somehow?) …Hope you can make it in March…if so I will see you there…..Mike Schreiner in Jupiter, Fl

Hi Mike
        I heard that Moroso was redone and is really a neat track to race at.
        I think Joe Morse lives a couple of house done from my nephew Ricky
        If I was coming down I would have been racing over at Bradenton.
        We will try one way or the other to make the race in Tulsa in June.
        Take care
        Jerry

quote T-GRRR:

Jerry,
        Be sure and keep us posted on results with new motor, also where and when you might be running.
        Still have about 2 feet of snow here… Spring seems so far away.

Like I said we will somehow make it to the event in Tulsa in June

This is what we like about NM it will snow one day and be gone the next ๐Ÿ˜€

the tiger has been naping while i work on the alpine v6 conversion. just about ready to take the alpine to the media blaster and body shop for a paint job. then i can wake her up and put her on the lift to test fit the cat headers then send them to the ceramic coater. when finished install the headers and upgrade the stainless to 2 1/4 stainless all the way back. then its sort out some elect issues. earl blu oval

Change rear brakes to disk brakes this weekend
        Went to disk brakes from a 93 cobra, had to make up my own brackets.
        Car stops alot better and setup looks great 8)

Raced the old 200K+ motor last weekend, lost in the finals by .006 good close race, motor stayed together on 14lbs of boost went 11:82 @ 125mph, had a hard time building boost on a instant green.
        Pulled the motor out on Sunday, sponser came up with money for new motor will have it put together in two weeks, tranny and converter being gone through more money.
        Finished up getting the Aerospace front brake setup done today just have to get some brake lines made and couple of spacers, everything lined up good.
        Looking forward to the race in Tulsa, hope to see some other Tigers and Alpines there.
        Jerry
        Worlds Fastest Twin Turbo Tiger (because its the only one) ๐Ÿ˜†

[quote=Worlds Fastest Twin Turbo Tiger (because its the only one) :lol:[/quote]

Maybe not. I’ve seen pictures of a twin turbo Tiger taken at (I believe) Tigers United I in Grants Pass, Oregon back in the mid 70’s. Had a wild panel paint job. I believe it was a California car and have often wondered what happened to it. This was back in the days when turbocharging was a black art and I guess they had more than a little trouble with the car.

When is the race in Tulsa?

Bob
        I was at that first united in grants pass in the 70’s, don’t remember seeing that car but anymore I don’t remeber alot shit ๐Ÿ˜†
        Tulsa is the 27th of june. How far is that from your house? Its about 10 hrs from my house.

quote :

Maybe not. I’ve seen pictures of a twin turbo Tiger taken at (I believe) Tigers United I in Grants Pass, Oregon back in the mid 70’s. Had a wild panel paint job. I believe it was a California car and have often wondered what happened to it. This was back in the days when turbocharging was a black art and I guess they had more than a little trouble with the car.

Hi,

That is very interesting as turbo cars would have been in the very early stages of their life. To have a twin turbo setup would have been unheard of. Even the top rally cars at that time were still naturally aspirated. Hopefully someone will own up if true.

Regards, Robin.

If my memory sersve me right I thought it was blower car from Las Vegas Nev. But I’ve been to alot of sunbeam events over the years it could have been at another event.
        Today I was putting the motor back together should be ready to rock in a couple of weeks. ๐Ÿ˜€

Larry Mayfield (mayf from the team.net mailing list) has his twin turbo land speed record racer. Best so far is 185 MPH in 2007 I think…

I finally got the Retrotek BossEFI up and going to the point where I’ll take it around the block here sometime in the next couple of days. For full roadworthiness my to-do list is down to getting the sway bar hooked up, putting in a brake light switch, throttle return springs, and making the turn-right signals work. Then there will be some intensive sorting-out drives to see if I should drive or trailer down to Suni.

Is Larry’s a Tiger? Does he have twins? Maybe I better start saying World fastest Twin Turbo Tiger that is street legal ๐Ÿ˜ณ

True enough. Mayf’s car is an Alpine with major chassis surgery and it’s not even a little streetable. http://www.mayfco.com/msports.htm

Finally located photos of the mystery twin turbo car taken in Grants Pass in 1975.

I have no idea what ever became of the car.

Nice pictures Bob, wish we knew where the car is now.
        I got the motor back in the car on sat. will have it running by next weekend. Could’nt work on it on Saunday because of moomy’s day ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi,

That is one very interesting setup 8) . The paint job certainly fits in with the 70’s ๐Ÿ™‚ . Not easy to make out how the turbos are piped. With a car like that, I would assume that it would not have gone un-noticed that easily. Someone must know what happened to it.

Regards, Robin

Got the Tiger to the dyno last night,
        Put down 613rwhp on 10lbs of boost 18 degrees of timing and at 6200 rpms and best of all it was done on pump gas ๐Ÿ™‚

quote Twin Turbo Tiger:

Got the Tiger to the dyno last night,
        Put down 613rwhp on 10lbs of boost 18 degrees of timing and at 6200 rpms and best of all it was done on pump gas ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi,

That is some very serious horse power ๐Ÿ˜ฏ . When is the first track run as I am sure we would all like to hear about its run? Have you posted any pictures of the engine setup (if not, can you)?

Regards, Robin.

Raced the car on Sunday. It went 10:42 @ 135MPH was having problems getting the launch down, best 60ft was 1.83, found out today had a leak in the boost line. Car felt good and stopped alot better with new brake setup.
        Will be getting everything ready to go to Tulsa last week of june ๐Ÿ™‚

Took the car to a race last night at the drag strip and it ran 10:27@137MPH looking forward to Tulsa

quote Twin Turbo Tiger:

Took the car to a race last night at the drag strip and it ran 10:27@137MPH looking forward to Tulsa

Great run 8) . With the new setup what is the quickest time that you hope to achieve?

Regards, Robin.

We will turn it up for Tulsa to about 700 rwh on race gas and see if it will get in the mid 9’s not legal to do it but car really feels good and in control ๐Ÿ˜€

Hey Jerry

How much Torque do you figure you are producing? Is it possible to mount a video camera inside of your Tiger for the run at Tulsa? Maybe on the Dash โ“ Ofcourse, you would need high speed tape :mrgreen:

Rob

http://www.robmartel.com

A buddy of mine has a small in car camera that we might put in .
        Rob have you heard of anyone using dry ice and alcohol in a inner cooler?

Jerry
        Nope, I have never seen a dry ice and alcohol set-up. I have seen dry ice used for blasting welding slag of off welding fixtures in some car plants I have contracted with. I like the evaporation attributes of the product without leaving residue.
        I still think liquid nitrogen would help in keeping your existing design cooler. Considering you already have a working design in a confined space, I would suggest building a sleeved reservoir around the vertical exit pipe as a secondary after cooler, outer cooler. Another suggestion would be to build a reservoir inside of your ice box and use the liquid nitrogen to keep your ice life longer. I can only geuss that your turbo’s cubic feet per minute does not allow enough SOAK time for the turbo air to absorb the cold.
        Do you have room inside of the passenger side cabin to fabricate and install a reservoir around the pressurised pipe? Or, it may work better if you had a smaller dia. pipe inside of the existing pipe acting as a reservoir for the liquid with an electronicly controlled solenoid to control flow of the nitrogen.
        It sounds like I am spending your money like the big boys in the new car sponsored programs, but I understand you are of limited fund$ and NOT suckling on any corporate nipple. These are just suggestions I am sharing from my years of Toolmaking for Tier one suppliers. FYI: I was a leadhand in the Largest Industrial Jobbing shop in Ontaro Canada at the age of 23, my experience is well respected amongst Engineers.
        Just because something has not been done before increases my interest and motivation. I did not take sheet metal nor Autobody in highschool nor have I ever worked in an autobdy shop but I have built a considerable amount of show-wining autos and high quality replacement panels.
        After you pull off some nice 9 second passes, I think you have the power to challenge the Big Blocks with your set up, but unfortunately I also know all about destructive testing, and the Tiger will show her limits too soon.
        A camera in your Tiger would be awesome viewing ( much along the same thrill of running a Cooper S through Britain in the early morning, only better) and I can only imagine the sound would be great also!!

Rob Martel
        http://www.robmartel.com
        ๐Ÿ˜€

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_The-Fusion-Intercooler/A_110772/article.html
        Here’s an interesting article on phase change intercooling… basically you take a regular air to water type cooler, fill the water passages full of melted wax, cap off the (wax) ports, and you’re done. The idea is that it takes a significant amount of heat energy to melt the wax, and while that melting is going on the temperature of the wax stays constant at about 120 F. You won’t get as dense a charge as you would from intercooling with dry ice, but there is a whole lot less maintenance involved.

You’d have to size the thermal mass of the wax so you could have it last for a burnout, staging, and a pass… interesting design problem.

Wow guys your way over my simple little mine ๐Ÿ˜• I’m just going to put a pump in the tank and get the water moving in the inner cooler. I’ll let you know how it works.
        Thanks for the input though.

Jerry,

How did your race go in Tulsa? ๐Ÿ˜€

I started a new post and put it under Mid America Shelby Event

Viewing 31 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.