Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Donald Bell
      Participant

Hi all: – my first posting!

We all suffer from degraded/damaged or otherwise unusable Tiger steering wheels. I’ve been out of touch with the Tiger community, even though I’ve owned my MkII, off and on since 1968. I’ve nearly completed building jigs, etc. to redo the wooden rim for my Tiger (I’ve got four damaged wheels to rebuild) – my glue-up is complete. My question is there a process for recasting/restoring the bake-a-lite hub?

You might want to email my father, John Logan. He did a tech tip a while back about repairing one. You can reach him at Carmods@aol.com.
        John

Donald Bell
        Participant

Thanks – I’ll post what I learn

Anonymous

I was working on a posting of Joe Parlanti’s article about steering wheel repair (originally published as two articles in the Rootes Review – Vol. 33, No. 5, May 2007 and Vol 33, No. 6, June 2007) Then I sort of forgot to finish. Please check it out here: https://www.teae.org/how-to-restore-your-alp … ing-wheel/

And if you’d like to get all the articles that get posted to the website AS THEY ARE ADDED, Subscribe to Tigers East/Alpines East by Email Use this link: http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailverify?uri=TEAE&loc=en_US

Donald Bell
            Participant

I’m nearing the final steps on crafting my replacement rim for my Mk II Tiger.

Now the sixty-four dollar question – How dark was the mahogany from the Factory? With the amount of inherent dark oxidation on my three original less than perfect examples it is hard to tell. After removing the varnishes, I’m left with a non-descript grey/light brown. I’m using African Mahogany which starts out quite light in color, although I have some much darker, and heavier stock as well (much higher silica content, much like Brazilian/South American Mahogany – dulls router bits and burns the wood).

Don

0neoffive
              Participant

Re-casting the hub and excellent wood work being done by Chris Reed in CO. I’ve had happy customers using his talents. No affiliation; just recommended. creedo@ix.netcom.com

Donald Bell
                Participant

Good morning Viet Nam, oops – I meant Oneoffive:

I tried the email address for Chris Reed and it bounced back; got any other contact info?

Thanks

0neoffive
                  Participant

hauliboy@gmail.com Forgot that he updated his mail. As to the "Good morning RVN" : Yes, I did hear that nasty alarm in real time many hot & rainy mornings . . . . . . . .(Cu Chi, RVN 16 months 66 thru 67)

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.