Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Gene Sokolowski
      Participant

I need to add lubricant to my steering unit. Doug Jennings had rebuilt it along with the front suspension a few years ago and I have never added lubricant as the car has been in ‘restoration limbo’ for about a million years now.

The Tiger manual specifies Shell Spirox 90 E.P. lubricant which is no longer available. I’ve tried to find a thread on line that talks about a contemporary substitute for that lubricant. Frankly the threads have left me a little confused with talk of brass corrosive additives in some lubricants. Is there a consensus of what lubricant to use.

Thanks
        Gene

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

Shell Spirax 90 EP was a name given to a single viscosity gear oil blended when these cars were being built. For many decades Shell has used names of sea shells to name their products hence the name Spirax. This product contained a sulfur-phosphorus extreme pressure additive that creates a microthin sacrificial film on the surface of the gear teeth which results in preventing wear to the gear teeth. Today we have multi viscosity gear oils instead of single viscosities. The conventional multi vis oils also contain the same EP additive. The multiple viscosity lube provides good lubrication at both low and high temps. If an older product specification called for a single viscosity lube there would not be a problem with using an 80/90 gear oil. The multi vis oils also have rust and corrosion inhibitors, foam inhibitor and a pour point depressant which lowers the temp at which the oil is still liquid and seal conditioners. Most 80/90 will still pour at a temp of close to -30F and withstand temps up to around 400 F.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.