Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I just removed my steering column because of a Circlip came loose at the bottom spring
      I took the nut off the expander shaft and it slipped down into the splined extension shaft
      and I cant get it out. The only way its looks like to get it out is to remove the splined extension
      shaft which means removing he metal dowel, which is not problem except for putting another in place.
      Does anyone know the size of the dowel or what to use to replace it, any suggestions would be appreciated. Cannot drive the car with a loose telescopic column.
      Don Wood

I had that happen when changing steering wheel hubs. The shaft slipped down inside the main shaft and I couldn’t see it to retrieve it.

I took a magnetic extension, the kind used to pick up parts, and ground down the outer casing where the magnet is located until it fit inside the main shaft. With some patience and perserverance I was able to pull the shaft up to where I could grab the end.

I then put a nut on the end so it would not slip back down. Though the hub does not fit over the nut on the shaft the one for the steering wheel itself does.

Since then I have been very careful to either place a nut on the shaft or tighten it so the shaft is as locked in to position as I can get it. I still am very careful to not knock the shaft.

Fred Baum
      Been there, done that

Thanks,
      I got it out. How did you press the spring down enough to get it back into
      the circlip groove.
      Don

Not sure what spring you are talking about. I did not take my shaft out of the car, so if there is a spring and circlip somewhere I am not aware of them. I was only changing the steering wheel hub to fit a different wheel on the car.

Fred Baum

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.