Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil Ashmore
      Participant

My stock starter on the MKII is going south, while I have it off how about the Ford racing M1100A50 for a replacement, smaller and higer torque. Is this a bolt on on my org 289? I asked this on the team thread and got some good answers which I put in my personal filing cabinet, which of course crashed…..thanks

Phil,

I can’t help you with the Ford racing starter, but I can give you another option to consider.

Powermaster (www.powermastermotorsports.com) was extremely helpful when I was looking for a small gear-reduction starter to use on my V6 Alpine conversion.

They offer three different starters for the 289 engine with a manual transmission. Click on “racing” and then on 160 / 180 / 200 Ft. Lb. Starters. It looks like you probably need a 3/8″ offset version, but I am sure they can advise you on that.

Phil,

If there is a problem with the race starter, it will be with the number of teeth on your flywheel and the alignment of the gears when the starter is installed. The only way I know for sure whether it will work is to try it and if it doesn’t., take it back. Hopefully you could contact Ford at their hot line at (586) 468-1356 and they could tell you. I have one on my 302 and it works great with lots more room at the headers.

Phil Ashmore
        Participant

Thanks all, now we have this working. I have the org engine so I can call Ford and give them the 289 eng # and they should be able to tell me for sure. A couple ofpeople I talked to thought it would fit fine…..cheers

Phil Ashmore
          Participant

Thanks for the phone # Ford says it will work…thanks

Phil Ashmore
            Participant

And it works perfectly, no matter how hot anything is. Came with nice wiring harness….I had to shorten it though, and very good directions which you should follow. A couple of people mentioned using a short “bridging’ wire on the starter so to only run one wire. May work for them, the directions say not to, it will hang on. I tested it with a short wire and gator clips…..hung on. Did it the way ford said…..perfect.

Viewing 5 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.