Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I’m trying to replace my [80’s vintage] spare tire with one that will actually hold air 🙄
      The "existing" tire – acquired from some forgotten car that my brother had – is a 185/70R-13. The trunk "floor" does not fit well with this size.
      I’d like to get a new (or lightly used late model) tire that will fit correctly under the hinged floor of the Tiger [without modification].
      According to the Tire Rack, our "original" 6.00-13 size equates to a 165/75r-13… but they have nothing in that size 🙁 , and recommended a 175/70r-13.
      I’m a little concerned that I would end up in the same boat due to the "70" series?

Any input would be appreciated.
      Thanks,

You are looking for a usable spare? Don’t you need to match the diameter of the other 4 tires and then find something narrow enough to fit in the trunk? Do you know the dimensions you need to find – diameter and width?

Mike

Thanks.
      I’m running 205/60R13s on all 4 corners. My understanding is that they are very close to the stock diameter/circumference. Our car has an open rear, it doesn’t seem to me that an "exact match" would be too critical?

I have never used the spare in 30 years, and hope it stays that way for another 30 🙄
      However, since we do tours and other cruising, it seems as tho I should have something available that holds air. Any use would be just to get back to home base.

I suppose that the question could be re-phrased to ask:
      Does anyone have a 175/70R13 spare and does it fit under the trunk floor?

I have an Alpine Series V. I am running P175/80R13, which is a 24.02" diameter and a 7" width. This size tire fits into the trunk spare well of an Alpine. I don’t know how a Tiger trunk is setup. Can’t answer the question what will fit.

From my research, the original 6.00r13 tires are 23.78" diameter and a width of 6.1". It is equivalent to P155/80R13. P205/60r13 is around 22.6" diameter. You are running at around 95% of the original diameter. 175/70R13 will have an equivalent diameter to your 205/60r13 tires. Tire Rack shows one 175/70r13 tire with an overall width of 6.2". It looks like the same width as the original tire.

Mike

Ron and Cathy Stein
      Participant

I just went with a cheap and cheerful solution, and bought a no-name 155/80 13 tire from Walmart a few months ago. Looks good, fits under the false floor, holds air a lot better than my 1970’s 165 Michelin ZX…lol, and the diameter is close to correct.

Mike – Apparently that 165/80R13 size is pretty well obsolete today in terms of "regular" tires, that size would be ideal.
        The spare in a Tiger lays flat, unlike the Alpines – thus the issue with the false floor.

quote canbeam:

I just went with a cheap and cheerful solution, and bought a no-name 155/80 13 tire from Walmart a few months ago. Looks good, fits under the false floor, holds air a lot better than my 1970’s 165 Michelin ZX…lol, and the diameter is close to correct.

Thanks for the input! Your spare was actually even a little older than mine 😯
        That provides 1 possible solution, ^^ is also the "alternate size" offered by the Tire Rack. The guy was a little hesitant about the lower(?) load rating, he said it is for some VW… but it is the spare [which I hope will never touch the ground], and I would be for sure taking it easy if I ever had to use it.

Is anyone using a 175/70R13 spare in a Tiger?

Thanks,
        Mark

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.