Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

14 July Update: Folks, the car has been sold!

Hi folks –
      My dad is the original owner of a 1967 Tiger. We are looking to sell the thing. It has been in a barn for 30 years and probably last driven in 1982.
      He is getting all of his paperwork together (he bought it in Pakistan and had it shipped directly from England to Baltimore). He is going to have my mom
      snap some iPhone pics of it, but the thing is in ROUGH shape. The paint was stripped off and it had primer applied back in the late 1970s.
      Anyway, he’s not savvy enough to do "that computer thing" so I am doing this for him.
      From the little bit of research I have done, it appears that the price of any of these cars is what people are willing to pay, right?
      I can just post it on eBay, I suppose, but it seems that y’all may be able to add some info.
      There is no way that he (or we, let’s be honest) is going to take it anywhere for certification or anything, but we can provide whatever paperwork he has.
      Ideas about how to go about it?
      Kimberly

the photos and some other basic information will be a good start. A copy of some original paperwork should be pretty good proof that it is the real deal.
      Ebay can be pretty tough if the seller is not savvy to the way things work.
      You can also contact the newsletter editor (Rootes Review) to see what you would need to do to get an ad submitted. There are a lot more club members [who would see the newsletter] that do not use this forum.
      Good luck.

Thanks, Mark.
      That is helpful.
      I am relatively eBay savvy, but that wouldn’t be my preferred venue. Dad seems to think that the car has a great deal of value as everything is original, but he hasn’t done anything with it in 30 years. I will look into the newsletter, etc.
      Thanks for the tips!
      Kimberly

Don’t hesitate to ask questions, usually someone will have an answer… but a little patience may be needed.
      A bunch of photos will tell people a lot about the car, IMHO condition seems to drive prices more than originality for these cars, but every one is different.

Mark

Well, the car hasn’t been kept in very good condition, but the paperwork has!

I have a letter from Simca-Rootes Division of Chrysler dated 11 Oct 1967 talking about the warranty on the car, serial number B382100586/LRX.
      I also have the order letter for the car detailing the original color (midnight or ambassador blue) and upholstery (aqua blue) and that it came with a hardtop
      and cockpit cover, as well as a radio: PYE 2630.

The shipping paperwork describes the engine number as 2202.

James Lindner
      Keymaster

Kimberly

Hi…

Based on your serial number, your dad’s car appears to be a MkII. Of all the Tigers, the MkII’s are among the most coveted. I do not think you would have much trouble making a sale.

I am a fellow Tiger owner and TE/AE member in Alexandria, VA. If you like, I could come by and help you sort things out. I will PM you with my contact info.

Jim

Kimberly – Jim is a great guy, should be able to give you some good help (ask if you can see hie super-multi-award winning Mk 1) Is that reasonably close to you and or your Dad’s car?

Jim – thanks for chiming in!

Here is a link to my Dropbox account where there are some photos of this project car. I cannot figure out how to upload the photos to this forum.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1c9rr2dcu7lh … HzURa?dl=0

Kimberly

the link works fine for the pix.
        Is that pretty much how it sat for the 30 years?

You can make a separate thread in the "for sale" section, and get something into the RR as previously noted. A little of the story in the ad might help.
        The Mk IIs are "red hot" in the market, but it looks like this car is indeed in rough shape, but if the body is solid it is a big plus?
        Good luck and keep us posted.

Is any of the rare stainless steel wheel well trim or the front grill still with the car? Photos of that would add to it’s value too. Maybe put it on a trailer and join us at the United later this month? Eric

I don’t know what trim is there. There is some bit of trim in the backseat that can be seen from the pictures, but I am not sure what is there. Aside from a bird’s nest. THERE IS A BIRD’S NEST IN THE GLOVE BOX. Oy.

And yes, Mike, that is how it has sat for 30 years. Well, it might have been moved from one barn to another, but that’s it.

Also, as you can see from the last photo on the dropbox link, I don’t think the paint was stripped. I think something was put on TOP of the original blue.
        I’ll look into the for sale section, thanks guys.

There is NO WAY that we will get up to Dayton (dad is 78 and can’t do it on his own and I have two little kids at home, etc.), though you are probably right that that would be the best thing.

Some folks on here already want to take a look!

Kimberly

Hi Kim,

What are you guys asking for the Tiger? Very interested.

Thanks!

Here is a link for a mk2 for sale where you can see the grill, wheel arch and side trim that’s been mentioned so you know what to look for. They are rare, particularly the wheel arch and strip in between, so being there or not will affect what you can get for the car. Good luck.

quote TigerParts:

Hi Kim,

What are you guys asking for the Tiger? Very interested.

Thanks!

We want to sell it as a full car, not for parts yet, if it can be restored. So there are folks looking at it for that first.
        Thanks!

quote mikephillips:

Here is a link for a mk2 for sale where you can see the grill, wheel arch and side trim that’s been mentioned so you know what to look for. They are rare, particularly the wheel arch and strip in between, so being there or not will affect what you can get for the car. Good luck.

Thanks, Mike….I didn’t see the link you mentioned, but dad found a lot of trim in the trunk. He thinks it is all there, including the grill and wheel well trim.

-Kimberly

"He thinks it is all there, including the grill and wheel well trim"
        Now you can add $15,000 to the final price!

Folks –
        Thank you so much for all interest and input and help. Y’all have been a great group of people.
        Kimberly

Glad to hear everything went well 🙂
        You certainly "woke things up" on this forum with the story and the car.
        Best wishes to you, your Dad, and the new owner.

Mark

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.