Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Gene Sokolowski
      Participant

Hello fellow Sunbeamers,

I have just finished restoring and re-upholstering the seats and console for my Tiger MK1. It has not been the most fun I have ever had with contact cement and 77 separate items (not counting rivets) that make up the early bucket seats. I am glad to have that task finished. On to the next challenge:

I am replacing the old (wiring) electrical system with a new 12-circuit (modern spade type) fuse panel and wiring harness with relays for headlights and horns. I purchased a gauge harness kit so that I could wire the dash gauges and switches on my worktable before installing the dash in the car. Once the dash is installed I just plug the 9 pin quick disconnect plug into the main wiring harness.

Here is where I start to need help!

Many years ago I purchased a Smiths 180 mph (right hand sweep) speedometer and a Smiths 8,000 rpm tachometer that were used in an early street Cobra (so I am told). The tachometer has its case grounded along with the other instruments. The tachometer has a standard male spade connector that I believe is for the impulse circuit. However, there are (for lack of known terminology) two other metal protrusions at the location of the spade. I am not sure if they are used in any way to hook up the tachometer. Has anyone hooked up one of these tachometers before? If so I could use your expertise and advice on how to correctly wire the tachometer. (Below is a link to Photobucket where I have a picture of the dash with gauges and switches and the back of the tachometer.

http://s1223.photobucket.com/user/genepa/story/16529

I noted that three of the four switches had 5 connection spades on the back and one had four. Can it be there is a spade missing from the switch with four spades? If not, which switched circuit uses the four spade switch? Panel lights?

I’m old and slow and somewhat forgetful … and I didn’t take my Tiger apart. That was done before I bought the car. So, I know I will have lots of questions about how to correctly assemble the car. Your advice along the way will be greatly appreciated.

Waiting (patiently) for the day my Tiger is running!!!!
        Gene

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.