Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone know the part number for rear shocks on a Tiger? Perhaps a Monroe or Gabriel number?

Thanks!

You can use rear shocks for a 70-71 Ford F-100! There are other applications but this is one that I do know works!

Here is some more info from the TE/AE site.

Shock Absorber Interchange
      First printed 4/87

What shock will fit on the Alpine/Tiger (as compared to other cars)-
      Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on. The Gabriel "Adjustable E" models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Front Rear
      Sears # 79281 Ford Truck ’50-’74
      Full size Buick ’65-’70 Lincoln ’52-’54
      Buick Riviera ’66-’70 Corvette ’60-’62
      Cadillac ’65-’76 Olds Vista Cruiser ’63

With some of these shocks, it will be necessary to use different mounting bushings and/or bolts than supplied

Thanks George:

Your advice on the ’60 – ’62 Corvette led me to some interesting options. Some rear shock options on that car are:
      Monroe-matic 32126
      Monroe Sensa Trac 5818
      KYB Gas-a-just KG5562

I then cross-referenced the KYB KG5562 and discovered that it fits the 1982 Trans AM and the 1991 Camaro Z28, both performance cars. Performance cars have listed performance shocks including the following:

KYB AGX 743019

The AGX line is a high-performance, fully adjustable shock. I spoke to KYB and they explained that it fits. Lower loop diameter 5/8 in., loop width 1 5/16, minimum length 12.0 in, and maximum length 19.75 in. That’s virtually identical in dimensions to the factory original Armstrongs.

Here’s the kicker, the KYB AGX 743019 is available on Amazon.com for $46 each and super saver free shipping (other sources charge $90 each and shipping). So, here’s an incredible deal for fully adjustable, high-performance shocks that fit the Tiger. Mine are on order. I’ll report later how they fit/work.

Regards,

Larry Williams
      Yorba Linda, CA

Hello I read your posting the the shock AGX-743019 for the Tiger are for where? front or back and do you have the number for the other shock.

Thanks
      george

I did install the KYB AGX 743019 shocks on the rear of my Tiger. They fit perfectly and the ride is good. Of course anything would have been better than the worn out no-names that were on the car previously. I have them set to the medium setting.

Unfortunately the deal on Amazon is no longer just $46 each. It is now considerably higher. Nevertheless, I think that the KYB AGX is a good choice for a rear shock on the Tiger.

I could not cross-reference any adjustable performance shock for the front (other than SPAX or Koni). I simply have a set of Monroe standard shocks on the front, I think they are part number 32067 but I could be wrong. According to previous posts, the front is the same as on a full size Buick or Buick Riviera from the mid-60s. I could not cross that to any adjustable performance shock. Certainly KYB did not have a AGX listed for full-size Buick.

Regards,

Larry
      Yorba LInda, CA

Just got off the phone with KYB and they recommended the following;

front

kg4507gas adj 14 3/4 ext 9 1/2 compressed
      kg4509 gas adj 12.3 ext 8.1 compressed

Rear
      kg5562 gas adj
      743019 agx The dual piston agx allow for more adj allowing for a firmer ride

cheers

Your best bet is to buy a set of Konis or Spax for the Tiger from one of the Sunbeam parts houses. Although expensive, you can be sure they are going to bolt right on. The Gabriel "Adjustable E" models are also a good choice (model 63329 or 63170 for the front and model 63331 or 63171 for the rear). If you want to try a less expensive solution, some cross-reference info is presented here. I can’t vouch for the accuracy of these but they should be a good starting point.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.