Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Chip Wells
      Participant

Greetings fellow Sunbeam fans!
        My name is Chip Wells and I live in Greensboro NC. I am seeking a Tiger to keep in my garage, pamper and spoil, and to take on drives locally and to car shows. Not a daily driver and do not a concours level vehicle either. I am seeking the elusive compromise that is the best example of appearance, corrosion-free, mechanically sound and great driving car possible. I would love to find a Tiger MkII due to rarity, motor and drivetrain and trim, but have learned they are challenging to find. But if I found the right MkI or MkIa, I would scoop it up.
        I know that a lot of club members are aware of vehicles that are for sale or will be coming up for sale, learning by word of mouth and local/regional gatherings. If you know or come to know of a TE/AE members Tiger for sale, please share this with me if possible. I am learning that finding a genuine, straight and roadworthy Tiger for sale is difficult to do, but it is more likely if coming from a club member.
        Thanks for your time.
        Chip

Richard Greisberg
        Participant

Hi I have a 66 Tiger for sale complete white glove car can see pictures of it on Bring a Trailer auction 105842 the auction went south due to a criminal comment that’s another story If interested contact me at 973 769 0092 in Morristown NJ or rgreisberg@optonline.net Thanks Richard

Sean Johnson
          Participant

This looks to be a pretty nice Mk1a. It does have an Alpine front valance as the Mk1a Tiger did not have the starter handle tube (valance to radiator support). It also should not have the lubrication plate riveted below the chassis plate, that was discontinued at the start of MK1a production. Very early MK1a’s will have the holes, but they were just filled with rivets that matched the ones in the chassis tag. A TAC would have substantially eliminated concerns, this, mostly because the rivets are not correct holding the chassis plate to the car.

It’s not quite correct saying that a Tiger is just an Alpine converted by Jensen. Tigers were purpose built by pressed steel on a different line than the Alpine. That’s why Tiger body number plates are prefixed JAL (Jensen assy line) and Alpine are prefixed SAL (Sunbeam assy line) these prefixes told Rootes, and Jensen, where the shells were to be sent. Parts were included, or deleted in the structure that were different from the Alpine. To send an Alpine to Jensen and cut off numerous parts not used on the Tiger would have been a huge waste and would have magnified the rectification of massive parts of the paintwork. This was something that Rootes wanted to avoid to keep the costs down. For someone who is really an expert in the differences between a Tiger and an Alpine, it just requires a few minutes inspection. There are HUNDREDS of differences between the two cars, and these changed over the evolution of the car. I’d wager that most novices or Alpine owners could never know all of them.

That’s why the “TAC guys” keep this information pretty close to the chest.

I understand the difficulties that a TAC inspection can represent. I live in Eastern Washington, for me to get a tac (I’ve done it twice) represents a 500 mile round trip and $200 worth of fees to take an auto ferry from Edmonds across Puget Sound. The fee itself is inconsequential.. it’s only $25.

Chip > just sent you an email re. Mk2 in Denver

warren-g
            Participant

It’s Time!!!

Not sure which car this one is on BaT but several have beaten the marque down. So here’s a suggestion….. Flag the ad as not constrictive on BaT. You don’t have to comment or otherwise comment on the auction but apparently it takes more than one person flagging the comment for it to be pulled. Historically, people have commented in a manner to keep dealers honest when they’re flipping our cars.
              But BaT isn’t alone in making a pinata out of our cars. Recently a seller that honestly bought a round corner car with a square corner ID . Lots of guys took a swing and not one or the moderating staff took the time to connect the dots that the username was the same as their member, I’d think oops there goes that member if he remembered to kill his PayPal subscription.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by warren-g. Reason: Dam autocorrect
              warren-g
              Participant

By the way there’s a restored car in New Jersey that the owner can no longer drive . It was a no sale on BaT . Rick AKA Tylerite SAOCA told me of the car.May of 2023

Sean Johnson
                Participant

The white MK1a currently on BaT looks to be a very nice car and sold last year for $80K

Bob and Jean Webb
                  Participant

Wasn’t a trimmed out Alpine body with parts left off sent from Cowley to Jenson for the conversion to a Tiger. Parts such as the trans tunnel, interior bulk head braces, top hats, etc, were left off so that Jenson wouldn’t have to remove them. Jenson did have to cut the floor pans, install the master cylinder mounting area in a different place , exhaust cutouts, etc. Trimmed out Alpines going to Harrington for the conversion to LeMans specs were also built at Cowley as were the bodies going to Jenson.

Bob and Jean Webb
                      Participant

It’s currently is at 40K with five days to go.

Chip Wells
                      Participant

Good Morning fellow Tiger fans
                        Please keep those cards and letters coming! Continuing to discover the wide range of Tigers available. Thanks for your assistance with my search!

Chip

Chip: I posted my Tiger the end of Feb with it’s write up. Don’t know if it would be too expensive but you’re welcome to call. 850-712-1200 I will be in the airways tomorrow and Wednesday (3/5-6) …heading to St Louis to try and buy another Porsche. David

Chip Wells
                        Participant

Tiger Fans
                          Well, for now, the search is over. Found a sweet 1965 Mk1 in SC that I’m bringing home tomorrow. Drives great, seems strong and tight. Best of all, it doesn’t appear to be eat up underneath! Now the project shifts to making it mine and continuing the upkeep. Thanks to all for the advice, comments and suggestions.

Chip

Viewing 10 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.