Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

guys,
      i’d like your help to devise a plan for my tiger’s brakes. currently is has a fully stock system which doesn’t work too well.

i’m thinking the following but its just an idea:
      1) new master cylinder (7 bore) and get rid of the booster which seems problematic.
      2) dale’s wilwood vented kit for the front (is there a cheaper alternative!?)
      3) either new pads for the back or some kind of disc conversion. again, is there a cheaper way to do it than dale’s kit?

thanks in advance.

alpine-64
      Participant

There will be cheaper ways to do it than dales. And if you rear the Rootes Review someone has done an article on a rear conversion. These will all require you doing the engineering. I think Dales kit is very reasonable for the quality, its a known quantitiy and has support.. in the long run is probably easier and if you take into account time.. cheaper.

ok, i’m sold on dale’s front kit. i read the back kit gave something like 90/10 rear/front distribution though. wouldn’t it be better just to stick with the drums?

how about master cylinder and booster or the lack of? whats the general consensus there?

cheers.

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

Change your master to smaller bore (3/4 vrs 7/8) Early Alpines had them and CAT club sells them….Leave the booster in for looks, but you wont need it with smaller bore master and ugraded discs……The boosters fail even after a rebuild….unless you send them to a pro shop which is pricey….My opinion…Mike

alpine-64
          Participant

While what Mike says will work, and i have an SII alpine with no servo, and my tiger (nice to say that) is running dales front and rear kit with no booster, if i was going to swap the MC i would go a dual setup. I have heard rumors of Datsun 280Z MC’s and a few others, if you are going to order parts from Dale i am sure he knows what to use.

I would go dual for safety, its one of the first things i will change on my car once i get it registered.

Here is Doug Jennnings’ (Tiger Auto) solution to the master cylinder.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172 … linder.jpg

The next picture shows the balance bar setup.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w172 … ncebar.jpg

How are the brakes set up on Doug’s design? One front and one rear for each cylinder, or all front and all rear?

Fred Baum

The inside master works the front brakes and the outside the rears. The rear brakes are disks with Fiat calipers and Datsun B210 rotors. I had to redrill the rotors and machine them to clear the Tiger hub. I also had to make a caliper adapter bracket. Total cost was about $ 250.

Viewing 7 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.