Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      John Tomasiewicz
      Participant

Hi all. We are restoring my 66 Mk1A after it slumbered for 32 years under a tarp in my Ct garage. Purchased in 1974, in 1978 and 93,00 miles, we rebuilt the 260 with stock internals and a Cam Techniques (local manufacturer, Dave Genrous, at the time,) mild economy cam. we drove it everywhere until 1980 or thereabouts, and approx 12,000miles. Pulled like a team of mules. My, question is about using flat tappet cams in this modern age:
        Can a mid-range roller cam set-up be used under the as-fitted old chrome valve covers? If so, what setup (rocker-arms, and new valve covers will fit under the cowl? The block and heads are original,but as I read the somewhat alarming flat-tappet break-in procedure these days, I am thinking about going roller. Does a roller valve train require the taller valve cover? Any info is greatly appreciated. We are having fun unshrouding the exhaust valves, and port-matching everything.
        The stuff we dreamed about as kids, but only have time to do now! Thank you for reading. We hope to meet a bunch of you in the years to come! Best Regards, John

Hello John and welcome to the forum. Here is my engine with chrome valve covers. Inside is a .609 lift HR cam with Harland Sharp rockers. To help with clearance , Fel-Pro make a thicker valve cover gasket . You also need to bend up the splash guard under the oil filler tube. To use a hydraulic roller cam in a 260 block call the cam companies ,they make Cam/kits for early blocks. Good luck , Hugh

John Tomasiewicz
        Participant

Thank you for the speedy reply, Hugh!

Installing a roller cam in a non roller block is not a slam dunk. The new issue of STOA news letter has an article. Hugh is using a roller block so it’s easy. It probably is going to cost $$$ and a lot of modification, probably more than a new bellhousing. waterpump, damper and distributor gear to convert to a roller block. Use your early model block and cam with Comp cams lubricant, break in oil and use their oil, Brad Penn, or Joe Gibbs motor oil, afterward. Bob ( the oil expert) should chime in on this one.

John Tomasiewicz
          Participant

Thanks Doc! I have decided to keep it simple and your comments support my/our decision. This is a committee restoration effort. Two older brains can actually perform the tasks of one young brain. Who Knew!

Viewing 4 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.