Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Jack and Jan Sawyer
      Participant

I am in the process of some restoration on my Mk 2 Tiger. The vinyl on top of the dash is in bad shape and I’m looking to replace it. The rest of the interior vinyl is more pebbled than what is on the dash. Is the smoother grain vinyl correct for the dash or should I be looking for something else?

The area between the wooden dash and the windshield is vacuum formed and foamed filled. At least that is how Sunbeam Specialties describes their Dash Pad part IP79. I don’t think it is vinyl.

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

This is a photo of the Sunbeam Specialties dash cover . It’s the same for all Alpines and Tigers regardless of the style of the material used for the upholstery. The dash on the white car is currently being held in place by the defroster vents and has to be glued in place. The other is one of my other cars.

Attachments:

Jack and Jan Sawyer
          Participant

So, 65beam, it looks like you have some vinyl yard good, I’m guessing sold by the yard by Sunbeam Specialties, or Classic Sunbeam or another vendor, over a molded foam liner sold by the same vendors? And Alpines and Tigers are the same. Correct me if I misunderstood something. Thanks to you & Tom Jeffers for the input.

Bob and Jean Webb
            Participant

These dash units are one piece formed to fit as original with the vinyl being bonded to the foam. They are properly made to fit on the corners, have the proper contours, have the defroster vent openings cut and also cut outs for the windshield frame hold down bolts . The vinyl hanging down is intended to be glued underneath the body to secure the unit in that area. Your car should have cardboard pieces in place that then cover these flaps. Buy this unit from SS, set in place after removing the windshield, adjust and trim excess and then glue in place. No need to glue foam, cut and stretch vinyl, etc. Identical to what was originally used on all cars.

I also used the Sunbeam Specialties dash. The original dash was sagging in front of the heat/defroster levers as the foam had turned to powder. The new dash fit well although some foam removal under the windshield area improved the fit. The new dash has a little texture compared to the ultra smooth original I removed.

I put the SS dash pad on a few months ago, we are very happy with it. Its on our alpine. I used vinyl paint to make it white

Viewing 6 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.