Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      William LeGacy
      Participant

66 mk1a,stock rack.bad inner tie rod ends,left worse than right.any thing adjustable/repairable in there?fishing for ideas before i dive in. Bill legacy,raymond,nh

So you have lots of slop in the tie rods ends there? If you unscrew the end caps you will find shims to take up the wear.
        You can remove a few to tighten things up-or perhaps the end caps have loosened up giving that looseness.

The short story, yes you can reduce play. But it is a long and detailed process.

The tie rod end play preload adjustment is established by slightly depressing a Belleville spring washer. The various thickness shims are used to accomplish this.

My experience rebuilding racks is that tierod end play is a result of a collapsed Belleville washer AND the entire endcap assembly loosening up on the rack. It requires total disassembly and attention to detail for reassembly.

Eric Gibeaut has the shims and Bellville washers he got from me.

The procedure for removing and repairing without destroying the sheet metal locking retainers is tricky and too detailed for this reply. You should only undertake repair if you understand the engineering principles involved and have the mechanical dexterity to deconstruct something without damage and think like MacGyver.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.