Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

Boy i’m glad this racing season is over $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
      Just replaced the third set of pistons was T&T the car getting ready to go to PINK’S all out in Tucson broke the pistons again.
      Borrowed a motor from a buddy of mine a 331 put my head’s and cam on the motor, check piston to valve thought a 80 thousand gasket was enough, wrong$$$$$$$$$$ broke a valve off on both sides, broke pistons, broke the block, ruined the heads, but had a good time in Tucson lots of different cars and everybody was impressed watching a Tiger run to bad it broke on fri. no TV coverage.
      This running at the edge get expensive, looking at twin turbo’s and a EFI setup. Turbo’s are easier on the motor and you don’t need a 500shot of NOS to run low 10’s.
      Best time to date has been 9:77 @ 144 back in INDY.
      Will update on the turbo set up, just in the dreaming stage.

Jerry,
      Sorry to hear about the breakage. IIRC you were running a 375 stroker. What pistons? What part of the piston is getting broken? Did you finally go with a "glide" or still have the C-4?

The motor is a 371ci from Bill Mitchel’s world products. I’ve been told in the past about running head gaskets the wrong way and it does’nt hurt anything, well the only thing we could find out wrong with the burnt pistons 5,6 was the head gaskets were on wrong.
      So now i’m in the process of putting twin 61mm turbo’s on the car, there is a company here in Albq. called Turbo Horsepower that is going to sponser me on the setup. We are going EFI with this setup and he says we will make 850hp to the rear wheels on about 12psi of boost.
      With the new pistons the compression will be at 8.5-9. and the it wil be a 377 ci and we do have a glide in the car.
      Should go deep in the 9’s on this setup. We will cage the car and I will have to get my license for these kind of times plus will have to put a parchute on the car ๐Ÿ˜†

850 HP at the rear wheels! That sounds just plain nasty. Got a time frame worked out yet?
      You will have to dump some tall gears in the rear, take it to the salt and see if you can get to 200 before Dr. Mayf!

Hope to get it done by March, will be starting on it next week just put a mock up motor in it for now.
      I really don’t think i have the balls to go 200mph in a stock suspension Tiger ๐Ÿ™„ ๐Ÿ™„ but what the hell it looks like we could be going 150 something with the new set up, in a 1/4 mile ๐Ÿ˜†
      We will probably be going from the 3:77 to 3:23 gears.

Well I got the turbo’s plumbed in and got most of the piping done under the car just have to build the exhaust, going to put it over the rear end and out the back with 2 1/2 inch pipes.
      Now comes the hard part coming up with enough money to buy the FAST,injectors, fuel pump, oil return pump,waste gates,throttle body,and on and on and on ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
      But I think it will be worth it when I’m done. ๐Ÿ™„

Trouble is, how do you keep your shopping from flying out the back at 200mph? (but then you can smoke your meat for free)1 ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

quote T-GRRR:

850 HP at the rear wheels! That sounds just plain nasty. Got a time frame worked out yet?
      You will have to dump some tall gears in the rear, take it to the salt and see if you can get to 200 before Dr. Mayf!

Bob
      I think I saw a picture of Dr. Mayf car out on the flats.
      What is the set up on that car? It looks pretty tricked out.
      Also what has it ran?
      Jerry

quote Fasttiger:

quote T-GRRR:

Bob
      I think I saw a picture of Dr. Mayf car out on the flats.
      What is the set up on that car? It looks pretty tricked out.
      Also what has it ran?
      Jerry

I think it’s dual T-3 turbos with Tweecer EFI and a C4 or AOD transmission – it may be changing over the winter because there was some speculation on the Tiger mailing list that he’s basically run the car as fast as it will go with this combination.

The link here http://www.scta-bni.org/ has the records… he’s gone 179 during world finals 2007 (oct 4).

Well we are getting closer, maybe a couple of weeks.
      We are planning to go to the Must. meet in Tulsa. Trying to see if we can afford the gas, what a bitch to have to start worrying about fuel cost. I guess that is some of the reason i’m going the turbo route.

Can we get some pictures of your turbo setup? I would love to see where you put everything. Will you be air or water intercooled?

Here is what I did with a 85 BMW….

That car is sold and I am now quite happy with my 66 Tiger.

We put a air to water cooler in the trunk.
      I wish i could post some pics but keep screwing up.
      There are some pics on the British V-8 web site under Sunbeam’s.
      If you go to the form and you will see a post that says TURBO’s
      Great job on the BMW

Well we drove the car around the block Sat. the 14th after 6month’s of fitting and refitting. Still having some tuning problems under 2000 rpm’s the tuner guy wants me to ckeck out a couple of things and bring it back to him next monday, this guy is really good.
      Everything looks good I just hope to get the bugs worked out and the car be dependable. ๐Ÿ™‚
      Won’t build the big motor till everything is right.
      We were trying to make it to Tulsa for the Must. event but just to many little things went wrong. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

We got the the car on the Dyno and got it tuned, everything seems to be working ok, no smoke from the turbo setup.
      We made 387hp and 393 torque to the rear wheels thru a PG trans.
      Not bad for a stock 302 motor that has over 200k miles on it.
      Went to the track Sat but got rained out car should run low 12’s with this setup.
      I’m really happy the way everything has turned out. A lot of hard work and planning to get everything to fit and look right, now its time to enjoy and surprise people.

Went to the track on Sat and got three runs in, best run was 11:98 And all three passes were 116mph.
      We were only running 5lbs of boost and the car lays over at 5800rpm’s and that was right at the end of the track.
      So now that everything is working looking forward to building the big motor and head for the 8’s ๐Ÿ˜†

Jerry

I would love to see your Tiger on a Pinks All Out one day! Have you any opportunity to participate in the "Pass Time" program on SPEED at all this summer? It appears many of them are tapped in the South. I would wager you would surprise the contestants and crowd real good as well as the T.V audience.
      Nobody but those of us that have seen you race can believe you can run in the 9’s. I’d love to see you run in the 8’s. I think a Tiger with a bag of laundry or Parachute hanging off the back would be damn cool.

Rob

We went to the pink’s in Tucson. I borrowed a motor from a friend of mine and ended up putting the valves thru the pistons. Broke his block and two pistons. I still think he’s a friend ๐Ÿ˜†
      We broke the motor on Friday on first pass ๐Ÿ™ I had alot of people wanting to se the car run.
      Can’t wait to get the bigger motor built, but having alot of fun with the car the way it is.
      Nobody can believe the car has twin turbo’s until i open the trunk.
      I’ve got some pics can some one tell me how to post them or send them to them so they can post them for me ๐Ÿ˜•
      Thanks
      jerry

alpine-64
      Participant

Jerry,

I would be happy to host the pics for you, please send me your email address in a PM and i will send you a mail and we can get these pics p and viewable ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

It is very stimulating to hear about people like yourself that are willing to innovate and try something new. ๐Ÿ˜€ I would enjoy working on a project like yours if only I had the time. I too am working on a new engine program for Ford and Siemens. In the last 3 1/2 months I have clocked over 1000hrs building PRECISION tooling and integrating the assembly system for a New 6.2 Litre BOSS MUSTANG Motor . Specificaly, an all Plastic Intake Plenium for the fuel injection.
        Sure it is worth a Giggle ๐Ÿ˜† to consider a larger engine when my Japanese customers are into fuel savings and we are all experiencing increased gas costs. We definitely do wonder what the market will be for a bigger engine but that is not for me to speculate. The corporate executives will work on that program. As long as their cheques don’t bounce. 8)
        I don’t expect much press coverage as the North American Auto Industry is experiencing a down-turn is sales, but keep your eyes open. My Japanese Clients are trying to swamp me with work also as their sales go up and into the future. My Mittens have been working alot of overtime, recently I did 105 hours in an eight day stretch and consistently exceeding 70+ hours a week, after week, after week, so I don’t remember when I last looked at my SUMBEAN . ๐Ÿ™ I do like hearing about your Tiger though and your approach to the finnish line. Oh so many people have their heads in the past (and their A$S) .
        The Boys are working on plastic exhaust manifolds, ceramic coated of course. Does plastic scare you on an engine Jerry?
        Next is a new plenium for the 4.7 Litre, then on to the 5.0 Litre. I can send you some private images if you are interested. My shutterfly account has over 60 albums and 7,000 images, I’m sure you’d appreciate some of my automation and techincal images.
        Thanks for posting your updates

Rob Martel

http://www.robmartel.shutterfly.com

quote Tigger:

Jerry

It is very stimulating to hear about people like yourself that are willing to innovate and try something new. ๐Ÿ˜€ I would enjoy working on a project like yours if only I had the time. I too am working on a new engine program for Ford and Siemens. In the last 3 1/2 months I have clocked over 1000hrs building PRECISION tooling and integrating the assembly system for a New 6.2 Litre BOSS MUSTANG Motor . Specificaly, an all Plastic Intake Plenium for the fuel injection.
        Sure it is worth a Giggle ๐Ÿ˜† to consider a larger engine when my Japanese customers are into fuel savings and we are all experiencing increased gas costs. We definitely do wonder what the market will be for a bigger engine but that is not for me to speculate. The corporate executives will work on that program. As long as their cheques don’t bounce. 8)
        I don’t expect much press coverage as the North American Auto Industry is experiencing a down-turn is sales, but keep your eyes open. My Japanese Clients are trying to swamp me with work also as their sales go up and into the future. My Mittens have been working alot of overtime, recently I did 105 hours in an eight day stretch and consistently exceeding 70+ hours a week, after week, after week, so I don’t remember when I last looked at my SUMBEAN . ๐Ÿ™ I do like hearing about your Tiger though and your approach to the finnish line. Oh so many people have their heads in the past (and their A$S) .
        The Boys are working on plastic exhaust manifolds, ceramic coated of course. Does plastic scare you on an engine Jerry?
        Next is a new plenium for the 4.7 Litre, then on to the 5.0 Litre. I can send you some private images if you are interested. My shutterfly account has over 60 albums and 7,000 images, I’m sure you’d appreciate some of my automation and techincal images.
        Thanks for posting your updates

Rob Martel

http://www.robmartel.shutterfly.com

Rob
        How did you hookup with this program? No plastic’s don’t scare me at all with all the tecknology that is available these day’s.
        I’m still in the dark ages with something’s but willing to try some different things at my age.
        I had some real good tech advice on the turbo project, its not perfect but its up and running and runs pretty good for what it is.
        Wish I knew more about how to tune the FAST myself so I don’t have to be depenent on one person.
        I’ll be getting back to you.
        Thanks Jerry

alpine-64
        Participant

Here are the pics of Jerrys new setup… VERY impressive!

Click on the thumbnail to go to the larger image:

Very, very nice.

How long does the ice last for the W/A intercooler? Where is the pump for it located?

quote Duke:

Very, very nice.

How long does the ice last for the W/A intercooler? Where is the pump for it located?

There is no pump just water and ice it will hold about 3bags of ice last time out I got two runs in before I had to add ice. Next time out I will data log the temps, but on the dyno it was 89 and the tuner said the charge temp was 92 i guess that was pretty good.

Jerry

Have you heard of Gale Banks Engineering in Arizona? They do alot of different projects with a good development program. I believe once you have a few passes on the Turbos that you will be able to dial it in. Concentrating on one system will make your learning process pleasurable. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Being an expert and working on many different set-ups has its challenges.
          When I get to see your Tiger plugged into a laptop I will be grinning so much that my ears will hurt ๐Ÿ˜†
          The engine program was by invitation. I don’t know if I will stay for all three dances as the first kiss was the most challenging. As in your program, engineering takes time and experience. I do like working for design engineers because as much as they’ve been to school, they still make silly mistakes that I have to Re-Engineer. In January I was finnishing up the install on a front Engine Craddle and Rear Crossmember assembliesy for GM’s LAMBDA projects(CUV market) and was given a heads up on a new Hydo-Forming project for Chrysler that is kicking off next month so I might go feed my brain on that project.
          When I fabricated the lower body panels for your Tiger back in the mid-ninety’s I had just finnished building tooling for the VOLVO/GM Heavy Truck plant in Alabama. When I fabricated the front end metal after your neutral safety mis-hap I was working on the Laser Cutting cells for Dana Engineering on the Hydro-Formed Frame rails for the last F150.
          Hydroforming metal components is very popular these days when it comes to structural chassis components, less welds to fail and very strong.
          If you want to upgrade your Tiger’s suspension to four wheel independent I could share some of my knowledge of Ferrari’s F1 program. ๐Ÿ™‚ I manually machined some of the rear suspension for their "World Car" program which was a year before the ENZO came to market. That too was by invitation, Ferrari was paying $50k a day for Daytona track time and a few white ties screwed up in their plans. From my mittens to the CMM and a first class ticket to Daytona! 8)
          Any possibility of introducing controlled Liquid Nitrogen to super chill the exhaust heat and increase the airs activity โ“ I know this sounds silly beacause the Tiger is so small, but in a larger scale maybe.

Rob Martel

Rob would you please e-mail me
          jerry.porsch@gmail.com
          Would like to go over a couple of ideas with you, like the liquid Nitrogen to chill the air to water cooler
          Thanks
          Jerry

Went to the track and got the car to run 11:35@123 on 8lbs of boost and changed the rear gear to 3:55 and still ran out of motor before I got to the end of the track. Looks like I’m going to have to put 3:23’s in it or wait till the new motor gets built.
          Have’nt had a bit of trouble so far the car runs great.

Viewing 25 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.