Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, new Tiger owner here. I have a nice Calif 1a (592) with the original 260. I will put the 260 aside and drop in a 5 bolt 289 that I will have rebuilt. I’ll be keeping the original close ratio top loader; putting on CAT headers (when they’re avail.); centerforce dual friction clutch & fly wheel; 3.07 posi; and change over to alternator. I was wondering if anyone has put together a list or wrote up a story of all the things that will not fit and need to be modified? I won’t be racing, just cruising around. Thanks for any advice out there.

Bill in Toledo

Welcome aboard!
      Hopefully you will get some specific answers, there are plenty of these "swaps" around.
      I thought that the biggest headaches with the swap was when changing to the "6-bolt" block, which requires bellhousing and clutch slave cyl changes (like on my car). Pretty sure that Tom Calvert has this [5-bolt hi-po 289] set-up, maybe the Jeffers’ also. The Tiger Auto gang in Dayton has surely been down this road, too.
      A suggestion – since this forum is not exactly "hopping" with activity… an email or phone call to the right guy might get better response.

If you have a 5 bolt 289 it will bolt up no problem, the only thing I can think of that may give you a problem is when you put on a new water pump thats the only thing, and if you use a gen. set then the Tiger bracket must be used. Remeber that the stock Ford bracket is not the same as Tiger, it is Ford Forklift!

Tom Hall has the best list that I’ve seen of part by part of what you will need.
      M

quote COOLVT:

Tom Hall has the best list that I’ve seen of part by part of what you will need.
      M

Thanks for that tip. I have spoken to Tom. I’ll pester him on this subject.

Bill

quote CaspianHIPO:

Hey guys, new Tiger owner here. I have a nice Calif 1a (592) with the original 260.

Bill in Toledo

Hopefully you are "on your way" to everything you need!
      Is that 592 the last 3 of the Tiger’s s/n? That is less than 100 from our’s (688). What color is/was your car?

Mark

Hey Mark,

Yes, B382000592. Color code – 100. Mediterranean blue. Still blue and plan to keep it that way. Picked it up in N. Calif two months ago from a gentleman who has owned it since 1972. 100% survivor car EXCEPT for one repaint in 1985. Rust free! Still drives and handles well. But it is time for some improvements.

Bill

I’m sure it will "drive" even better with a 289 hi-po :mrgreen:
      Good luck with everything. Rust-free is always good!
      Ours is "Forest Green", it is in 2 of the pix here:
      viewtopic.php?f=59&t=2452

I notice you stated you have the original 260 engine.

I’m conducting an Original Tiger Engine Study with respect to the Ford Casting numbers and Date codes. I hope you would be willing to assist me with the numbers on your original 260.

I can send you an email with the list of numbers I’m studying.

rfraser@bluefrog.com

The 5 bolt 289 should be straight forward you with just need to use the Tiger specific 260 engine parts on the 289 block.

Hey RFraser; sure I’ll share my Tigers numbers with you. I’ll send you an e-mail.

Bill in Toledo

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.