Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Went to my first national car show at Stan Hywet in Akron Ohio and made 87 out of 100 points with my MK1A. The soft top is going on in two weeks which will add 5 points and I’m working on stock wheels and tires which will add another 3 points. I plan on using 13" LAT 70 wheels because they were a dealer option and they look good. I’m not sure about the tires though. I’ve heard that B F Goodrich red lines from Coker are considered correct. Is that right and can anyone suggest an alternative that is a descent road tire as well as being correct.

Thanks for the help

Bill Marras

I don’t think the redlines were correct. Most older images I have seen I thought the Tigers had white walls (which I believe Coker sells a BF Goodrich White wall about 1" white wall). I have to believe blackwalls were "standard". Maybe tonight I can check the Road and Track road test and look at the images and see what they had.

I know I have found a few unused spares with Dunlop, I think called Gold Seals, on Alpines.

Seve

alpine-64
      Participant

If i am correct rootes offered dunlop road speed RS5’s and gold seals as options.. and the 1" white was also an option.. as a stock tyre tigers and alpines ran plain black cross-ply dunlops.

The red stripes would be aperiod correct for cars like a IA/II perhaps.. but never offered by rootes.

Todd Smith
        Participant

Hey Bill,

Getting a 13 inch tire with a one inch whitewall is getting very very hard to find. Firestone has them in there FR380 line. I just put these on my Alpine and they look great and handle better than any tire that I have ever had on the car. You may have to have your Firestone dealer get them from several different location as it is getting even hard for them to find them.

Cheers,

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.