Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ron & Linda Jones
      Participant

I stopped by the paint shop today, and the guy has finally got it done, YEA! It seems like it took forever, but for the price, I ain’t complaining. 3 stage paint (primer, color and clear), undercoat, rusted out spare tire well repair and trunk coat for $1250. I brought home the hood, trunk lid and headlight rims, but will have to wait for a dry day to have her hauled home. Granted I still have to reinstall all the chrome, lights, rubber trim, interior and top. IMO she turned out georgous, I’m syked. :mrgreen: Will have pics when she comes home.

Ron,

That does sound like a good price. If you want to sing his praises, post the business name.

Can’t wait to see new photos of your machine all glossy and painted.

Ron & Linda Jones
        Participant

Hey Eric,
          In the DC/Balt area, it’s a great price. Macco wanted $1400 just for a 2 stage paint and they are about the cheapest major shop, w/o a very good rep. My wife wasn’t that impressed last night, but she looked @ it this morning and is now raving about how good the parts, I brought back, look and she’s a harsh critic of anything "guy-like". There was a break in the monsoons, this afternoon, so checked to see if she could come home today, but the guys didn’t have their truck at the shop, so will have to wait until tomorrow, if the sky doesn’t open up again.
          Thanks for the offer to give them a plug. The name of the shop is: Top Choice Entrprises Inc, 7440 Roosevelt Blvd, Elkridge, Md. Dave and Blair run the place.
          They have a SIV or V, in decent shape, but rotting in their lot, someone has left, some time ago. I’ve told him that if they got a mechanics lean, I was sure someone, in the community, would be interested.
          I can see myself, in the shine and thats w/o wax :mrgreen:

Ron & Linda Jones
          Participant

I got her home today, and took some pics. I really don’t think the photos do it justice though. I have found a couple of imperfections, due to my own prep, but I’m very pleased. The guys told me to wait a couple of weeks and then give it a good coat of wax.
            Before:

After:

a couple of other after shots

I’ll get some pic of the trunk/spare well repair later.
            I’m scared to go near her now, for fear of doing some damage

hmmm, I don’t know what’s wrong, only half the photo is posting.
            (fixed, thanks eric)

Oh, it looks great. They really did a superb job. Nice color by the way.

The photos are dimensionally too big for the forum (since the forum is fixed width).
            In photobucket there is an option you can use called the click-able thumbnail option … under "share" your picture.

Like this…

code :[url=http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn354/RonKZ750M1/AlpineRepaint005.jpg][img]http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn354/RonKZ750M1/th_AlpineRepaint005.jpg[/img][/url]

Ron & Linda Jones
            Participant

Thanks Eric, I appriciate the compliment. ๐Ÿ˜€
              I’ve been wondering how people do those little thumbnails. I’ve found the controls in Photobucket, so now I know how to do it. Thanks for the tip.
              Ron

Ron & Linda Jones
              Participant

I went out today, sorted through the bits and cleaned stuff up. The lights and most of the chrome stuff is in pretty good shape, it looks like everythings there. The trunk hinges are pretty pitted, and the grill arch has a couple of crinkles, but everything cleaned up pretty good w/vfine steel wool. I wire brushed the headlight buckets and put on a couple of coats of rustoleum. I think I’ve figured out the headlight assembly and ordered the trimmer screw kit. I also went through the baggies, that came w/the car. Some of the baggies have "labels" but most have faded, then there is the obvious stuff. The stuff in them are pretty rusted and dirty, but I now at least have some bolts, nuts and screws I can match up, at the hardware store. I found the springs and finials for the inner door handles/window winders and 2 rear bumper bolts. One strange thing, there aren’t enough holes on the trunk for the sunbeam letters. There’s only 6 sets of holes and sunbeam has 7 letters???
                I ordered almost all the gaskets, I’m gonna need, from VB, but still need the headlight bucket to body gaskets. SS has them, so I’m gonna have to wait to order on Monday. I’ll probably get the differential gasket also. There was about 1/4 inch of grease I scrapped off, before the undercoating.
                I hate waiting and I hate not being able to get everything from one place! ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
                In the meantime I guess, I’ll continue w/the interior.

How’s the re-assembly coming along? Were you able to source all the parts you needed?

Ron & Linda Jones
                Participant
                  quote Killer:

How’s the re-assembly coming along? Were you able to source all the parts you needed?

Hi Killer,
                  Wow, it’s has been awhile since I posted an update. I pretty much spent last summer putting her back together. I made some pretty good progress on the interior, wiring, guages, trim, top and replaced the brake lines and master cylinder. By the beginning of winter, I got her to start and was able to test drive, but I had a god-awful noise, I thought, was coming from the engine. I couldn’t figure out where it was coming from and was getting pretty depressed. Around Febuary I got a guy to come over, who knows a lot more than I, about these LBC’s and he was able to tell me that it wasn’t coming from the engine. With that information, I figured out that the plastic steering wheel surround was vibrating against the column and it was resonating in the steering box. Since then I’ve made a lot of progress. She is now roadable and I have tags and have done a couple of test drives on the road. Still have a few bugs to work out, but she’s just about ready for her coming out party. Will a bad exhaust leak, @ manifold/downtube, rob power?
                  Thanks for asking, I’ll have a final update within a few weeks, I hope.
                  Ron
                  Here are some photo’s I took today

Viewing 8 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.