Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I WAS JUST PLAYING WITH MY SCANNER AND DUG OUT AN OLD PHOTO ALBUM FOR SCANNING MATERIAL. THIS THING GOES BACK TO THE FIRST UNITED IN D.C (1979 OR ’80, I THINK) AND THE UNITED IN SAVANNAH. SOME OF THE SHOTS SHOWING LONG HAIRED SUNBEAMERS ARE HILLARIOUS. MANY OF THE CARS IN THESE PHOTOS WERE DAILY DRIVERS BACK THEN AND IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE HOW THEY (AND THEIR OWNERS) HAVE CHANGED. SHOULD MAKE FOR SOME INTERESTING CONVERSATION IN THE HOSPITALITY SUITE AT THE UNITED. WITH LUCK, I WILL BE ABLE TO FIND A SHOT I HAVE OF JIM D’AMELIO WORKING ON HIS ALPINE GT. YES, HE ACTUALLY DROVE HIS OWN SUNBEAM TO A UNITED. IF I RECALL CORRECTLY, THE CAR ATE THE GENERATOR. I ALSO FOUND SOME PICTURES OF MY MKII AFTER IT WAS WRECKED AT THE SECOND D.C. UNITED. OUCH!!!!

Bud-

If you can put those photos on a disc and send them to me, it might be fun to put them in the Rootes Review and have a quiz, letting members try to guess who is who.

My snail mail address is on page 2 of the RR.

Fred Baum
      Editor, Rootes Review

PLEASE post some of these photos Bud! It would be great seeing them. I have a very rare photo of Jim D actually in the drivers seat of his S3 GT at some long ago United. I will try to find and post it….Eric

That was United IV, the one Wally brought the real Tiger to.

I have a bunch of pictures of cars and people at the indoor garage in D.C. the infield at Roebling Road, and some pictures of the event we held in Virginia Beach at the KOA campground. I’ll try to get around to scanning some of them this week. I also have a picture of my MKII at our wedding as we were leaving the wedding reception. The instructions to the guys who were going to decorate the car were: Shoe polish only on the glass windows (The windows had already seen plenty of shoe polish at various auto-crosses), no colored streamers and no cans tied to the car. The were very good about following instructions though they did manage to fill the console with rice and plant the ignition key somewhere at the bottom.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.