Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      alpine-64
      Participant

OK guys, I hunted through the ford motorsports website and their tech tips.. and i cant find what oil W they recomend! So… what kind of oil are guys running the 302 roller crate motors using? I was looking at either the Mobil 1 fully syn.. but they are in 0-40W 5-30W and 10 -50W which would i be best ot go for.. i figured 10-50… but would appreciate feedback.

Michael,

I use Mobil 1 5-30W in my Roller cam crate engine. If you are racing your Tiger then I would recomend Mobil 1 10-50W.

John Logan

alpine-64
        Participant

aJohn,

I actually went out and bough Mobil 1 full Syn 5-50W today.. so hopefully should be good. Thanks for the reply.

The WSM recommends 10W-30 oil. 5W-50 would be much thicker (except when cold).

Any brand name oil should be sufficient. I doubt that any of us are going to go very far between oil changes or are going to run the engines low on oil. In really cold climates, run a bit thinner oil. Actually, I doubt that many of our cars are going to see much winter running to begin with. In warmer climates, run the thick stuff. The factory recommended 10W-30 is a great compromise for all climates. Synthetic or not, I doubt that there are going to be many oil related problems in cars that are pampered treasures. I have an old flat tappet engine with crappy oil pressure so I run Castrol 20W-50. I put about 3,000 miles a year on the car and change the oil at least twice a year. With a more modern (roller) engine, I would run synthetic just because it should offer better start-up protection for an engine that doesn’t get started every day.

Racing is a whole ‘nother story.

alpine-64
          Participant

Well after thinking it through and having a chat with a friend i decided maybe the 50W was a little on the thick side unless the motor was going to get really hot, i figured 40W would be about as much as i needed. Rang the supplier and asked if i could swap the oils as i hadnt opened them. Sure enough they were ok, so dropped it back and have gone with Mobil 1 Super S fully synthetic 10-30W (gold container) now weird thing is.. the fully syn Super S 5-50 was only $70 for 5 litres.. this other one is 86!… ouch!

Hi Michael,

I can buy a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 here in Michigan $21. There must be some high shipping and higher taxes down there.

John Logan

alpine-64
            Participant

john,

think you are right… but it still smarts when you put your hand in the pocket. Fuel here just jumped heavily yesterday. I filled up with premium unleaded (98 ron) yesterday morning and it was $1.41 a litre, that afternoon it jumped to $1.54 … though its still cheaper than the UK i hear.

Hi Michael,

If the oil did not weigh so much, importing the oil from overseas would be a real option. However, I am in the belief that you get what you pay for. Two things that I don’t skimp on are good tyres and good oil for my vehicles.

Regards, Robin.

quote alpine_64:

john,

think you are right… but it still smarts when you put your hand in the pocket. Fuel here just jumped heavily yesterday. I filled up with premium unleaded (98 ron) yesterday morning and it was $1.41 a litre, that afternoon it jumped to $1.54 … though its still cheaper than the UK i hear.

Here in Winipeg Manitoba Canada we aren’t far behind at 1.14 a litre.
              And Canada is the USA top oil supplier so go figure.

quote alpine_64:

john,

Over here we are now paying £1.03 a litre, which I think equates to about $2 a litre. Just as well the the Tiger is off the road at this moment.

and thats regular, chris.

i pay somewhere around 1.10 gbp/litre (about $85 to fill the tanks!) with super unleaded.

used to cost me about $35 in chicago.

Viewing 11 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.