Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hello everyone,
      I have been considering selling my ’74 Pantera and getting a Tiger. I really love my Pantera, it was my dream car since I was about 12 years old, but have been wanting a convertible for sometime now. So, I thought that a Tiger would be a great car to replace it. I went and looked at one for sale in southern Michigan that I found at Hemmings.com. The car was in pretty rough shape (even though he said all it needed was a little detailing), but I did get to drive it and i liked the way it handled and even though it wasn’t running perfectly, I could tell that a well sorted car would be fun and fast enough to keep me entertained.
      So, now I am looking for information about the Tigers. What to look for, problem rust areas, mechanical issues, what is expensive to replace, what parts are available and what is not, etc. As I found out 15 years ago when I bought my Pantera, you can look at all the web sites and read all the books on the car that are out there, but it’s always best to get first hand information from actual owners.
      I am going to try to post a couple of pics of the Pantera for those that are interested……….
      Thanks,
      Ian

Wow what a great looking Pantera-thanks for posting those photos! I have always wanted one of those. I have never driven one and it would be fun to drive one in comparison with a Tiger.
      Take your time to look at a few Tigers and get to know some of the folks in the club who live near you-they will help educate you on what to look for and may know of some nice Tigers for sale too. Eric

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

eric,
        maybe you should buy the pantera and let me pick it up and deliver it to your door. it might take me a few months to get it to you. there was one in our area in the early 70’s but the owner would not let anyone drive it. he didn’t even allow his son to drive it.

Even I’ve driven a Pantera, and they are good fun. Nothing like that big Cleveland right behind your head (behind you, where an engine should be ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

Choose wisely, Ian. A Tiger is a worthy prospect. A Tiger Authentication Committee certification is something also to consider. An Alpine with a V8 (or V6) is still just as fun, but may not have the value in the eyes of the purists. All that matters is what matters to you and how you plan to enjoy the car you choose. Tigers can still have a TAC cert whether stock or modified.

Look for structural integrity of the rear spring mounts at the front, and around the front crossmember. As you might suspect, structural work isn’t as easy to fix as other things. Glass is important. A hard top will enhance the value. Investigate if the electrical system is in good working order. Things like overheating can be significantly improved from the stock setup, so no big worries there. Lots of parts can be replaced, its the matter of originality for some parts that are scarce. Check http://www.rootes.com for the catalog of replacement parts that Sunbeam Specialties carries.

Good luck learning and shopping around. The hunt is part of the fun! And welcome to the forum.

You may want to come to our United in Maryland. You may find a good car with a known history or at least get to see alot of them all together. Better to do the research and find the right car.
        John

There is a British car show coming up here in Michigan. I will try going there and see if I can talk to some owners. I am sure there will be some there.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.