Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all:

I just ordered a new engine for the Tiger. Any preferences out there with regard to removal/installation? Out the top as per the manual or out the bottom? Any thoughts/suggestion will be appreciated

from rainy South Dakota,

Paul

66tigermk1a
      Participant

I just stuffed mine in a couple days ago from the top… found out just how much bigger those Trickflow heads are!! … ended up taking the valve cover off the driver’s side just to get it in the engine bay! Thinking about it after ( I used my 4 post hoist and engine hoist) I wonder if it would have gone in from the bottom without removing the cross member..and then sliding it back into the tunnel…
        … spent at least 2 hours getting the motor mounts in around the headers!
        I now have about a half inch beside and behind the driver’s side valve cover and about an inch above it…knew I’d never see those roller rockers again (hopefully)!
        Are there ANY non stock size components on your new motor…??

Jim

Hi Jim:
        Every things is stock – no trick flow heads or anything. I think we are going to take it out from the top. Did you remove both the engine and tranny or just did engine?

I bought a short block. I just had the heads reconditioned and have zero miles on them so there was no point in buying a long block. Hopefully this will get the Tiger both purring and growing again.

Paul

Its really easier to take the motors out the bottom. I’ve owned my car since 1973 and took the motor out of the top only once and that was first time anymore it comes out the bottom and trust me Ive had mine out a few times

There is 4 holes in the bottom of the cross member, 6″ ext on a 3/4” drive w/ a 3/4 socket. Take the brake line off on the right side and brake line at the union where the brake switch is and the bolt out of the steering rack. Then I jack the car up from the middle of the X frame and roll the front end out. Make sure you chock the rear wheels.

66tigermk1a
        Participant

Can you take it out the bottom with the cross-member in place..? After ‘squeezing’ mine in the top I sure would consider it for next time…especially with the ‘4-post’ as I can raise the car to slide the engine under quite easily. My biggest problem was really getting the motor mounts through the headers…but I’ve seen many designs for these and I guess I just have a ‘poor’ set. I would think stock manifolds would make for a much easier installation…

You might call Paul Rose, of Vintage Motorcar, in Harpers Ferry WV. 304.728.1990. They recently put one back into our Tiger as part of a restoration. I don’t recall the specifics, other than Paul saying “I really should have….” which was a variation of what the shop manual illustrates to do. They put it in from the top….I wasn’t there, but have a picture of “the event.” Jim Olmstead

Well, after a longer wait than I anticipated, the new engine is back in the Tiger. It’s nice to have it running on all 8 cylinders again! The removal, even from the bottom, was a bit of a challenge. But we got it right when we put the engine back in – no problems at all.

The engine was pretty tight, but started right up. After I get a few more miles on it – I only drove it about 25 miles today – it was raining – I’ll do some fine tuning on the Holley 4 barrel carb and then I should be set for a while. What a difference in performance – even with a new, fairly tight engine.
          And the ca-chunk, ca-chunk at idle from the new cam sounds very cool.

I did not install headers – Rick has them on backorder at Sunbeam Specialties and the California Tiger Owners club was out as well. So – maybe next summer I’ll put headers on and then open the exhaust up to 2.25" as well. That should allow freer breathing and even nicer performance.
          Ah the joys!

from South Dakota,

Paul

Paul-

How about a brief article about your engine swap for the Rootes Review?

Any photos?

Fred Baum
          Editor, Rootes Review

quote CLEVITE:

Paul-

Any photos?

Fred Baum
          Editor, Rootes Review

Hi Fred: The photo I should have taken I didn’t. I should have taken a shot showing the condition of the heads and the valve seats when we first removed the heads from the engine. Wow – there was so much wear it’s a wonder that anything worked. Deep recesses were evident on virtually all the seats. Too bad I didn’t take a shot – it would have been an eye opening view.

I can do a short article, but I know there are a lot of other guys/gals out there who also have completed engine swaps. There really is not anything all that unique about mine – at least I don’t think there is.

later,

Paul

Viewing 8 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.