Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Schreiner
      Participant

I just took four repro outer door handles and re-keyed them to fit my ignition key…( for two cars)……that was successful, however I am at a loss on how to install the little round spring that makes the key hole cover swing closed when no key is inserted…….I can see how they were mounted when I remove them from an old door handle, but cant figure how to install them in the repro handle….Anyone have any experience with this??????? Mike Schreiner in Jupiter, Florida

First insert the cover in the handle and secure with a bit of tape, it’s easier than trying to hold it in with your hand. I then dropped the spring over the post and, using some needle nose tweezers, grabbed the end of the spring and rotated it until it lined up with the slot in the post. You may need to push it down to get it bottomed out in the slot since the chroming can narrow the slot. Also, keep in mind the springs are handed so be sure you’re putting the correct one on each side. May take a couple tries but it’s not that difficult.

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

Thanks Mike , I will try it that way as soon as I find some tweezers…also I didnt know they were handed..Mike S.

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.